Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Automation, Controls, Inverters, MPPT, etc

Temperature and Pressure Valves

<< < (2/2)

David HK:
Thanks for the replies, most interesting.

I shall keep studying the subject for a while and may opt for pressure relief only.

One thought is a solenoid valve linked to a circuit which has a thermistor sensor. Should work in theory but the location of the sensor would be important. Then of course, no voltage and it would cease to function.

David in HK

Wolvenar:
Yeah, I would ditch that idea.. Stick with a simple mechanical fail safe if it is really a factor.
Mr Murphy's natural prey is complexity.

RichHagen:
Since most of the domestic ones are set for domestic water, or low pressure boiler tanks, I think that finding one for 4 bar and a suitable temperature for that pressure might be a bit problematic.  If you did have a tank rupture at that pressure with the water just below the boiling point at that pressure I would think it would be quite disasterous with the instant flash to steam, so caution with your system is certainly in order.  Rich

RichHagen:
If you were to go with pressure only, then you are in the realm of steam boiler relief valves, but I don't think they are generally rated to handle liquid water.  An example from the Google would be:
http://www.boilersupplies.com/safety-valves/safety-valves.html
If it vents at the temp and pressure you describe, you would be venting a mixture of water and steam as a portion of the water would flash to steam once the pressure was reduced upon passing through the valve.

Rich

David HK:
Thanks for the note Rich.

I am going to stick with a basic pressure relief valve which is already installed but calibrated differently from its original factory setting.

I am therefore making up a calibration jig of pipes, a pressure gauge, a car tyre valve, and a foot pump.

I will put up a photo when its finished.

David in HK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version