Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Automation, Controls, Inverters, MPPT, etc

U Power 8kw 24 volt Faults

<< < (2/2)

dochubert:
Hi Pete,
So, more than a year since I bought my Upower 15kw and yours is proof they are still wiring them in that screwy way.

My 7 year old 24v/8kw pj runs my water heater in powersave mode.  When on it draws about 2500w at 110v and does fine.  The wh elements are rated 4500w 240v.  I first tried 220v for it but the inverter would not run more than a minute at 4500w/220v.  Hence running at 110v.  Takes longer to heat up the tank but runs reliably like that.
The point is you get less than half of powerjack's rating as a useful limit.
For the price its still a good deal.  Usually.

While still in San Diego, I used to run that 24v/8kw to run my house (240/120) on sunny days.  It would do fine up to 3kw or so and a bit over for a few minutes.  Yours should be fine for what you are running.  You may want to add some cooling on the transformer, or just remove the bracket, plate, rubber pad and bolt from it to improve cooling.  Unless you need it to be portable...

Pete:
Hi Doc, I have my inverter mounted on its side so I can see the screen. So taking the bracket off the transformer won't work.
I only plan to run a 1600w air compressor rarely and a1500w Woodsplitter sometimes too. The woodsplitter will probably only do an hour or so between me needing a break . I guess I will find out how warm the inverter gets.
The transformer looks pretty large so hopefully it won't be that inefficient that it will get too hot.
My U Power inverter came in a box that had Made in China printed all over it. I thought that PowerJacks were made in Taiwan so my guess is that the Chinese have cloned the PowerJack and are using a labour force that are not very technically minded.
Anyway the inverter is working, I haven't tried big loads yet, but am happy that I found the problems and sorted them before it became an expensive smoke machine.
Hope the new batteries arrive soon and get you sorted for the coming winter.
Our days are getting longer now so our batteries are charged up again well before lunch time.
Cheers
Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version