Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Automation, Controls, Inverters, MPPT, etc

Just got my new 48v/15kw powerjack

<< < (3/9) > >>

dochubert:
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the link.  Yours are almost like the ones I use, also from ebay.  They show the current temp plus the hi and low setpoints.
I've been using these temp controllers for years on all my inverters, including my gridtie units, to run fans.  Great minds think alike, eh?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-12V-10A-Digital-LED-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Control-Switch-Probe/262904072432?epid=584518137&hash=item3d364dc8f0:g:xGEAAOSwsW9Y0QEZ

And I use the resistor/2 speed setup on some of them also.  Thanks noneyabussiness.  Another great mind!

solarnewbee:
Hey doc,

My 2 main power board fans are controlled by a snap sensor that resembles a to-220 transistor just bolted to the heatsink. I don’t remember the Celsius setting on it but it turns on quite often since I moved it over. The control board only controls the fan behind the coil that’s a regular pc fan. The other 2 are 24vdc. Yours might be 48vdc ?, 10-25w resistors might be in order for speed change I’m guessing.

On another note I bought this a few years ago to run on propane as backup. I think Oz bought the 48v version. Never did get a chance to install it.

SN

dochubert:
Hi Solarnewbee,
I think the temp switches powerjack uses are 45 degree C.  Too hot for me.  (I like to have fans kick in around 37-38C.)  How much load are you running?

Yes my fans are 48v on this inverter.  Used to be true that whatever voltage your inverter runs on, your fans would be that voltage also.  These days you can't be sure what voltage fans powerjack is putting in their inverters.  The Upower (powerjack clone) 48v/15kw inverter came with a 12v fan, which must mean the fan voltage at the control board is selectable.  There is no obvious selection point, though.  I was told by Sean at Genetry Solar that powerjack was going to standardize, 12v fans on all inverters.  Either that is not correct or they are still switching over.  Perhaps using up old stock.

I vaguely remember when powerjack was selling generators.  Didn't know they were available with a 48v output or I might have bought one myself.  Apparently not selling them these days.  Nobody on ebay seems to have one with 48v.  Guess I'll eventually have to make my own like Pete and some others have done.

dochubert:
Hi All,
Found this 1 inch thick rubber wheel at an estate sale for 50 cents.

Cut 4 wedges like the one in this pic and put them under the transformer (minus the bracket also)

Hard to get a pic that shows the wedges under the trans but you get the idea.  Once its in place this inverter won't be moved so no need for transformer brackets that hold in heat.
Next is to mount a fan on top of the transformer and change the fan behind it.  The wedges give room for airflow through and under, hopefully allowing use of slower, quieter fans.  The two transformer fans will be on whenever the inverter is on. The back fan will be 2 speed kicked up to high speed by independent temp control, sensed on the transformer.
The other 2 fans, one behind each mainboard, will be series connected to slow and quiet them.  They will still operate when the pj control says to, but each mainbord will have an independent temp controller sensing it.  Either controller will turn on both fans.  Should be adequate cooling, but will adjust as necessary.
That's 3 temperature controllers I'm adding to this inverter.  I do like to know what's going on at a glance.

solarnewbee:
Hi Doc!

Lookin good there. Got some good ideas there. I finally jumped in and bought one too. I wasn’t going to but I says to the wife that if I ever do that I could buy it logged thru her points club portal to eBay and she was like why not now? What better incentive does a guy need? 😝.

My 24v 15kw is in a server cabinet on a sliding shelf up high so I gotta find help to swap out. I never thought about raising up the coil. I like it. I control my temperatures thru sensors that report thru a cloud server and I set temp limits and action to take. I create a button in the site for fans so when the temp reaches say 120f then fan button on then set for temp drop and action taken. Sensors for every item in the inverter. Let me know if your interested it simple I will give you a link.

Can’t wait to see what you do next since I got one too.

Good luck til next time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version