Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Automation, Controls, Inverters, MPPT, etc

Just got my new 48v/15kw powerjack

(1/9) > >>

dochubert:

Hi All,
Received my new dual lcd powerjack 15kw a few days ago.  It was a few days before I got it ready to test.  I pulled the top and was pleased to find nothing loose or broken from shipping.  Did a temporary hookup and no-load test to make sure it wasn't going to blow first try.  Worked fine.  Ran it about an hour.  Ran fine. No problems.  Load test to come soon.

I did notice in my visual inspection that one of the output side heatsinks has scorch marks on it.  They must have blown this one up once at the factory.  Hope its not a bad sign.

I'll get some inside pics up soon.

Pete:
Hi Doc, sounds a bit suspect that the factory would blow their own inverter up, then repair them and send them out.
Maybe someone slipped when testing it. Still one would think they would have cleaned up the heatsink at least.
It will be interesting to hear how it tests out.
Pete

dochubert:

Hi Pete,
I've wondered also about which inverters are allowed to be auctioned off, usually much cheaper than regular price. Probably the ones that blew up once or twice before they got some good parts in there. (I would have at least cleaned the heatsink).  I only buy when I can get them cheap at an auction, but this is what I get.  Usually they're fine.  Hope this one is too.  It's definitely the heaviest I've had.

dochubert:
Hi and Merry Christmas!

Had a little time so thought I would post some pics of the inside.

It's got 2 mainboards.  Twice the fets.  Hope that's a good thing.  With the load split between them maybe each one will run cooler?  It's that big honking transformer in the middle that's gonna get hot.  The 3 fans are high speed fans and boy are they loud!  I really think the old models with 3 smaller transformers in parallel was a better design for heat transfer.  Probably its cheaper for powerjack to put 1 big one in rather than 3 or even 2 smaller transformers in a unit.
Note the metal straps holding the xfmr down.  Those have to go, as well as the bolt, plate and rubber insulators on top and bottom of the xfmr.  I know from my experience with the little 15kw clone inverter that this xfmr won't be able to stay cool enough without better airflow.  So off come the brackets, etc.

The xfmr rating is not what I'm used to either.  This one is 30v to 260v whereas all my older ones are 32v to 230v.  Considering that the mainboard typically puts out 34.5-35 volts (I'm assuming this one to be the same), the raw xfmr output should be well above 260v!  I realize its easier for a control board to pull down a high voltage than push up a low voltage, but this seems a bit over the top.  Since powerjack is supposed to be winding their own xfmrs nowadays I would think they would keep the numbers closer to the desired levels.  Must be other considerations...

Notice those scorch marks!  Some fets definitely cooked on these boards.  Hopefully they load tested the current set before sending it to me.  I have yet to put a load on it myself.  I have to do mods before moving this heavy sucker to its permanent mounting place as it will be on a shelf about 5 feet up and hard to work on in that spot.  I only want to move it there once!

Next I'll be putting some spacers under the xfmr and adding a fan on top for improved airflow and heat transfer

Pete:
Hi Doc, just wondering how hard you intend to run the inverter? All that work changing things to get better cooling would suggest that you have some pretty serious loads that you are putting on it.
You must have a pretty big battery bank to run that thing.
Looks a bit chaotic inside doesn't it, strange that they didn't bother to brush off the burn marks before sending it to you.
Was it a freebie? or did they charge more for the carbon.
Have a great new year
Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version