Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Wind and Hydro

update on a rusty mill

(1/3) > >>

niall:

we rebuilt this mill back in December , the rotor polyester was on its last legs then and with very few spare neos to replace the rusty ones ....

i havent been back to the site since then and was a bit apprehensive when i called back this week , even with all the good work put in back then i half expected the worst when i rounded the corner ....

so it was a nice surprise to see the mill still running producing good output , no one really looks in on it anymore , i doubt it was ever shut down through the winter for checks on rigging , balance or basically ...well ...anything

a bit of a recap on the work ....

the "front" of the rotors was used for the re cast , the back was too pitted (last pic)

the poly and neos were easy to get off

this week .....at least the air gap looks good , still good clearance ....holding up pretty well really

i,ve no idea the kwh its produced , but i,d say its payback period is well passed now ....its on a good wind site and has spent a lot of time fully furled .....

oztules:
If only neo had some of the properties of ceramics, and the power of neo's.... it would be nirvana

..............oztules

hiker1:
nice to hear it survied all by its lonesum.....proven design !!

niall:
 :)

its hanging in there alright ....it may write its memoirs one day , would be an interesting read ...

strangely the original bearings ( which were second hand to begin with ) are still in place , with no back seal ...

i think this had something to do with the solid cedar prop, which is ridiculously light.....

still ....i shouldnt temp fate , corrosion is hiding in the long grass somewhere .....for now       

bj:
   Always nice to read a success story.
   Hopefully the next time you see it you can post the same results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version