Transportation > Fossil / Other Fuels

4 stroke lawn mower converted to steam, fabricating boiler

<< < (2/10) > >>

bj:
  You have put a lot of thought into it, and it looks pretty good.  Only thing that comes to mind
is to make sure your PSV (overpressure valve) is big enough. 
  Well done.

Burnit0017:
http://modernsteampower.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/homemade-wood-fired-lamont/

Hi, from the information that is a available all the parts for the pumping is rated at about max 500 psi. The system is small and I am keeping the fire really small until I understand how the system works. The article show what happens if there is a system failure. The over pressure valve is set to trigger at 110 psi. If the OPV ever triggers I will open the output bypass valve to quickly release all the pressure. Safety is always a real concern.

Burnit0017:

--- Quote from: MadScientist267 on September 10, 2013, 01:19:11 am --- He's baaaaaaaccck!  8)

As always, nice looking setup. Wondered what you were up to, we now know... Looking forward to seeing more :)

Steve

--- End quote ---

Hi, completed the vawt project and after testing last winter I realized that live in a low wind area. 99.9% of the time the wind speed for my area is below 8 mph. So I started the steam project. What I learned from the vawt project, PMA and MPPT info will be applied to steam project. No or low wind, No power.  :'(

I am converting a small air compress pump to work as a water feed pump for the boiler. I will post results when available. 

Burnit0017:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZyl8KX3Wo
boiler modifications: added steam drum, using air compressor pump as fresh water feed pump

hope to test in a few days then I can start to insulate

Burnit0017:
Hi, I used JB weld epoxy to fabricate the additional lowbs on the cam of the 4 stroke. It did not last long, I was able to scrape it off with my finger nail. It just can't take the heat. I have to refabricate the additional lowbs. It was a good learning experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version