Off Grid Living / Camping > Camping / Camp sites / Recreational Vehicles

mosquito bait

<< < (2/3) > >>

hiker1:
eat a few cloves of garlic the day before you go out[gives you extra energy]--that keeps them from bitting you !
on time out i really loaded up on some garlic-dam near ate the whole bulb..
one lone mosquito zeroed in on me..landed sunk his drill..and froze up..so it seemed..i moved my arm around no response....garlic knocked him dead on the spot !  :}

jack11:
this garlic, sounds interesting, I bet it also keeps people away ;-). Seriously, I can't tolerate large amounts so I doubt that whatever I can eat would be effective.

However, I've never tried to remove saliva out of cow's mouth, but I have a cow pasture nearby and I may try, maybe next time we go cow-tipping ;-)

I've seen several CO2-based traps on the market, I thought they were based on a catalytic reaction as opposed to flame-burning propane.
I always have propane tanks with me when camping, and tubing, regulator and metering valves would be no problem.
But, I am not able to find any small catalyst that would oxidize HC to CO2 + H2O, just like a car's CAT, and heat up in the process to around 100F.
If I had one, then putting it inside the zapper is easy, and the rest is taken care of by about 1000V on the zapper's grid.

Has anyone ever seen a small CAT like that?
It would need to oxidize HC fed to it at room temperature, as opposed to car's exhaust that's already pre-heated, (so, maybe such a CAT does not exist).
So, the next best solution maybe to put a very small burner inside the zapper.

rossw:
You're collecting your saliva from the wrong end of the cow.

In many parts of the world, they collect and burn cow/camel/whatever dung upwind to keep the flies and mozzies away.

Wolvenar:
Most I have seen actually have a small flame, not catalyst. Yet they are $100-$350 lat time I checked.

BenandAmber:
Wrong end of the cow.      Lmao

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version