Project Journals > Bryan

Mini Dual Axial Project

(1/6) > >>

Bryan1:
G'day Guy's,
                    With the left over neo mag's off my 4kw motor conversion project (soon to come) I decided to have a go at making a mini dual axial genny. As I had enough magnets + one spare I decided on doing a 16/12 config.

This is the cad image of the coil/magnet setup

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Next is a pic of one of the mag rotors just cast

A pic of the front mag rotor all machined up to true it and painted

Here is the mount I made for it

All setup ready for the one coil test

My crude but effective test setup, I used some plastic tube and used somw magnet wire to connect it then powered it off my 50 volt DC motor using my 30 volt lab psu.

here is the result from the test coil setup

This weekend I'll get the stator all wired up and the stator mold sealed with my free motor winding varnish (which is a great MDF sealer) and grab a new bottle of catalst for that 4kg's of fiberglass resin I have here so I can get the stator done.

I do have my eye on a 170x50mm x3.3metre straight grain Oregon plank at work and tomorrow I'll ask the boss as it's not going to be used if I can have it for my blade set for this project.

More to come.....

Regards Bryan

ChrisOlson:
Hi Bryan,

Looks to me like you'll get 12 volts DC out of it at just a little less than 200 rpm (assuming you wire the stator in wye).

Are those little magnets about the diameter of a nickel?
--
Chris

oztules:
I'm not sure your resistance figures are correct......     0.11R for the coil, and 0.16 for the leadin.... 45 turnsof wire for 0.11r and a few inches of wire for 0.16.... are you sure about this?

If 24v then around 370-390 rpm cutin. What blade size are you considering.... 2meters?

..................oztules

Bryan1:
G'day Oztules,
                       When I short the leads of my fluke 865 scope meter the reading isn't zero it is 0.16 ohms so to correct the ohm reading I have to subtract that figure from the result. Today's jobbie is connecting the coils on the stator and hopefully get it cast. next weekend is a trip to the salvage yard to find some hardwood for the blades and Yes I am going for a 2 metre blade set for this project. Also our house array is 24 volts so yes the cutin will be around 380 rpm.

Cheers Bryan

Inspired to get going again after a night of sparkling ale......

ChrisOlson:
Bryan, what is the size of those magnets and what air gap you using?  It would be interesting for me to try to figure backwards to see if I can figure the flux density in the air gap with those.
--
Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version