Project Journals > Bryan

4kw Motor Conversion

(1/6) > >>

Bryan1:
G'day Guy's,
                    Well with all this talk about motor conversions it time for me to start a log of my 4kw motor conversion which will be done in the true Zubbly(RIP mate) fashion.

A few years ago when I was repairing gearbox's I found a good donor motor being a 4kw flange mount WEG motor

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The original windings were shot so I decided a total rewire is on the cards

Here is the motor with the new insulating paper ready for the the installing the 1 wire for the first test.

Now I decide to machine up a new mag rotor out of solid steel stock and an old Warman pump shaft was the donor material. As the Neo mag's are to be on a 10 degree skew I counterbored a seat for each magnet so they could sit in the right position. Now getting 22 N50 grade 16x13mm neo's to sit side by side was a daunting task and I only broke 1 magnet doing all 4 poles.

Here is a pic before the magnets were put on

First pole installed and epoxied in, I just made some fences out of some perspex and used some 100 mile an hour tape to form the fences until the epoxy went off.

Here is a pic with all the poles on and the next step is the final epoxy coat so the magnets are fully sealed and i'll machine the OD for a 1mm gap.

Now for the tower I scored a heap of brandnew hydraulic pipe for a couple of cartons of beer. The pipe is 3" with the wall thickness a tad under a 1/4". As I have 6 lengths I reckon I'll go 2 sections for the tower and one for the gin pole then I'll have enough for 2 towers as this motor conversion disease is terminal.....

Here is closeup pic of the pipe

Now for the new wire I do have a couple of spools of 14awg (1.6mm) wire and as I'll going for a 24 volt system I'm hoping I can go atleast 2 inhand with the wire.

Next weekend I'll take a couple more pic's of the final epoxy pour as this bug is now getting itchy to say the least, it has been close to 2 years sofar since I started this and it is time to get it finished and into the air just so Murphy(that great guy) can supply enough wind to keep the house batteries charged.

Cheers Bryan

Note: only 5 pale ale stubbies were consumed doing this post

tomw:
Bryan;

Looking good, bud. That fully populated magnet rotor looks lethal.

I can see why you had a bit of a tussle shoehorning them in so close.

Waiting for the follow ups.

Did you fab up a coil winder or have one?

Somewhere in my files I have a drawing of a "cone head" coil winder that Zubbly (RIP) passed along. Here, let me find it:

And some photos of his he posted:

He claimed this is the way to do coils for conversions, anyway.

Adjustable length simple to operate.

Just in case you might want to mock one up if you are going to build lots of rewound conversions. I have all of Zubbly's Fieldlines files archived over here if interested:

http://pics.ww.com/v/TomW/FLRescues/Zubbly/

Glad I did now since JW lost a LOT the old FL stuff by his ignorance and, apparently its not important. Its not the dual rotor air core they like I guess.

Anyway, I got them all over there. Actually, I think I got everyone's files just before the meltdown but where they are stashed on CD I don't know.

Tom

Wolvenar:
We have an archive here also that Zubbly himself uploaded.

http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery2/main.php/v/zubbly/

Bryan1:
Thanks Tom,
                     I just had a quick look at Zubbly's files and now I'll have hours of working out the correct way to rewire this motor.

Cheers Bryan

Wolvenar:
Very nice  work and write up Bryan!!

I have a 30 something HP i may do someday in the future, but I really need to get my last one up and doing some work first.
I'll be watching how this turns out before taking on the big one myself.

I cannot remember what the largest motor zubbs did, and Im not sure if and where there is a point of diminishing return, and troubles with these.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version