Author Topic: 4kw Motor Conversion  (Read 13095 times)

Offline Bryan1

4kw Motor Conversion
« on: July 14, 2012, 10:36:09 pm »
G'day Guy's,
                    Well with all this talk about motor conversions it time for me to start a log of my 4kw motor conversion which will be done in the true Zubbly(RIP mate) fashion.

A few years ago when I was repairing gearbox's I found a good donor motor being a 4kw flange mount WEG motor

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The original windings were shot so I decided a total rewire is on the cards

Here is the motor with the new insulating paper ready for the the installing the 1 wire for the first test.

Now I decide to machine up a new mag rotor out of solid steel stock and an old Warman pump shaft was the donor material. As the Neo mag's are to be on a 10 degree skew I counterbored a seat for each magnet so they could sit in the right position. Now getting 22 N50 grade 16x13mm neo's to sit side by side was a daunting task and I only broke 1 magnet doing all 4 poles.

Here is a pic before the magnets were put on

First pole installed and epoxied in, I just made some fences out of some perspex and used some 100 mile an hour tape to form the fences until the epoxy went off.

Here is a pic with all the poles on and the next step is the final epoxy coat so the magnets are fully sealed and i'll machine the OD for a 1mm gap.

Now for the tower I scored a heap of brandnew hydraulic pipe for a couple of cartons of beer. The pipe is 3" with the wall thickness a tad under a 1/4". As I have 6 lengths I reckon I'll go 2 sections for the tower and one for the gin pole then I'll have enough for 2 towers as this motor conversion disease is terminal.....

Here is closeup pic of the pipe

Now for the new wire I do have a couple of spools of 14awg (1.6mm) wire and as I'll going for a 24 volt system I'm hoping I can go atleast 2 inhand with the wire.

Next weekend I'll take a couple more pic's of the final epoxy pour as this bug is now getting itchy to say the least, it has been close to 2 years sofar since I started this and it is time to get it finished and into the air just so Murphy(that great guy) can supply enough wind to keep the house batteries charged.

Cheers Bryan

Note: only 5 pale ale stubbies were consumed doing this post

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
Re: 4kw Motor Conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 11:34:26 pm »
Bryan;

Looking good, bud. That fully populated magnet rotor looks lethal.

I can see why you had a bit of a tussle shoehorning them in so close.

Waiting for the follow ups.

Did you fab up a coil winder or have one?

Somewhere in my files I have a drawing of a "cone head" coil winder that Zubbly (RIP) passed along. Here, let me find it:

And some photos of his he posted:

He claimed this is the way to do coils for conversions, anyway.

Adjustable length simple to operate.

Just in case you might want to mock one up if you are going to build lots of rewound conversions. I have all of Zubbly's Fieldlines files archived over here if interested:

http://pics.ww.com/v/TomW/FLRescues/Zubbly/

Glad I did now since JW lost a LOT the old FL stuff by his ignorance and, apparently its not important. Its not the dual rotor air core they like I guess.

Anyway, I got them all over there. Actually, I think I got everyone's files just before the meltdown but where they are stashed on CD I don't know.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 11:55:37 pm »
We have an archive here also that Zubbly himself uploaded.

http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery2/main.php/v/zubbly/
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:58:47 pm »
Thanks Tom,
                     I just had a quick look at Zubbly's files and now I'll have hours of working out the correct way to rewire this motor.

Cheers Bryan

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 12:01:40 am »
Very nice  work and write up Bryan!!

I have a 30 something HP i may do someday in the future, but I really need to get my last one up and doing some work first.
I'll be watching how this turns out before taking on the big one myself.

I cannot remember what the largest motor zubbs did, and Im not sure if and where there is a point of diminishing return, and troubles with these.

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 02:03:44 am »
nice job bryan.......
try some --epoxy stick---to seal inbetween the mags and poles...it makes for one solid rotor..
it cures rock hard and can take heat as well...ive used it on my rotors  great stuff..
the mags really do stay put--had to take a chisle and hammer to a old rotor just to get the mags off!!
just do it

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 02:05:19 am »
Thats quite a project.
If I can find the jig I built to do concencentric winding, I'll take photos for you (if your going to go concentric coils)

It is just a piece of 2" think pineboard, with holes drilled for 4" nails. The nails are spaced (romovable) for the three different sized coils for a single concentric pole, and make it dead easy to wind and fill...... hopefully I didn't toss it after making the last motor rewind (415v three phase not mill) Zubs diamond heads were too fancy for me to build, when it was just as easy to do it with nails and wood.

Keep it going.

...................oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 02:28:51 am »
G'day Guy's,
                     Since it was feb last year when I did the mags on the rotor too much time has past for this ol' foggy brain to remember so going back to square 1. Using a lamination I pulled from the motor so I can workout spacing etc, the pole width of each on is just under 5 coil spans where reading Zub's files for a 36 tooth stator 6 coil spans is the ideal. Off memory 6 wouldn't workout so thats why I went 5. Now I do think i can do a 8-10-12 concentric winding on this and bring all 12 wires out so I can try all combinations.

Hiker, the reason I just epoxy is so I can machine down the excess in my lathe in order to try and keep the rotor all balanced the best I can and I won't be putting any filler compound in the the final coat will be clear so the tops of the magnet will still be able to see.

Oz, mate if you can find that jig or do some pencil cad it would be great mate...

Cheers Bryan

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:38:42 am »
Wolvenar asked me to relocate these files "lost" in the other sites meltdown.

( ?° ?? ?°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 07:43:57 am »
And these. I did not proof read them and it seems there was a problem with one or 2 of them formatting wise. Enjoy!

( ?° ?? ?°)

Offline tomw

• Senior Moderator
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:53:16 am »
Bryan;

Sorry to jack your thread but it is semi topical.

Wolv;

Could you stick these someplace safe and where folks can easily find them. Thanks.

Tom

( ?° ?? ?°)

Offline oztules

• Forum Advisors
  • Village idiot
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 03:25:09 am »
Peg board with 6 coils made for 2 pole generator
here you can see the attempt at "diamond head stuff.... but stuff it

Put the inner 4 pegs in first... wind that one then the second one etc etc.... use on hand turned winder or mechanical one.... easy peasy

The last photo shows the poor attempt at quasi diamond head...... It worked.... but the peg board was better.

.............oztules
Flinders Island...... Australia

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 06:11:15 am »
G'day Oz,
                I did have to take a few look and get that grey matter working but the light bulb finally lit up on that idea and gotta say it worth a shot. It will definitely be easy doing it that way for the 1 wire test and as I do have 2 off 5 kg spools of that 14 awg magnet wire there is plenty of room for a stuffup.

On Friday I am getting the epoxy resin and if time does permit I'll get the 1 wire set in the motor so it's already for the big scary challenge of inserting the mag rotor into the motor. Now the idea I have for that, I have a G size warman pump spindle here that must weight about 400kg's so I'll turn that on it's end and machine down one end cover to suit the motor. Then I'll drill and tap some holes in for clamping the motor to it then lower the mag rotor down with my 1 ton chain block. I reckon when I do get to that task it may be worth having the missus ready with my galaxy smart phone taking a HD vid in case there is a classic stuffup. anyway it will be an interesting clip none the less.

Cheers Bryan 

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 06:54:32 am »
Bryan,
I use a cherry picker/engine hoist to remove and insert the rotor on my conversion.
It seriously takes down the stress level, and makes it MUCH less dangerous to the machine, and man.

Build up a mount for the housing/stator to hold that steady to the forward legs, and you can use a simple chain on the rotor so it is maneuverable. Make sure there is room under the housing to accommodate the shaft length and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps, if you have not worked this one out for yourself.

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 09:50:51 pm »
G'day Guy's,
                    Well got a bit more done this morning and got the final mold all setup and in place to epoxy it in tonight. I used 12mm perspex for the end plates and machined them up so they are both a neat sliding fit on the shaft journals and the shell is an old spice jar. The end plates are a slight press fir on the shell so no leakage will occur when I pour the epoxy in. I used a can of open gear spray to grease the inside so the epoxy won't stick to the mold.

I Drilled 2 holes for pouring and drilled 2 small holes for air pockets

I'm off down the hill soon to get the epoxy and do my tax and tonight when I get home before the first ale I'll pour the epoxy.

Cheers Bryan