Off Grid Living / Camping > Off Grid Living / Alternative Housing

a start on my new shipping container house.

<< < (2/2)

philb:
Hi Rover,
The water source is just an idea that seemed it might work. I have enough solar to do about whatever I want during the day. My battery stock consists of 8 six volt Johnson Control batteries. I plan to add more as move in time nears.

The solar panels have the batteries on float well before noon on most days. I was thinking about diverting the unused power to a small freezer during the day and using it at night to circulate the cold water through a fountain. If I'm wrong, I can still use the freezer.

An air source heat pump (30 A) might work well during the day, but would suck the batteries dry at night.

I was able to download a few pictures to the project file. The newest ones are details such as ceiling fan boxes and receptacle photos. In both cases, they were welded into the recessed areas of the corrugation.

Also Dang asked where to run the electrical wire. There's a picture there that shows a one inch wide gap between the containers. That seemed the ideal place. I drilled a hole through the corrugations and inserted a scrap of wire to hold the wire in place. All the electrical wiring is overhead. Metal stud runner plates can eventually cover the void on the inside so the wiring will be completely encased in steel. BTW, the containers are welded together on the outside with 1/8" X 3" strap iron for watertightness and strength.

My daughter told my wife she'd have to buy magnets to glue to her picture frames. No nails and wire required.  ;D Hmm...no holes in the paneling. Great idea!
I'll add more pictures as I can. http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery2/main.php/v/philb/album132/

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version