Author Topic: Buck converter for small wind turbine project  (Read 78771 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: Buck converter for small wind turbine project
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2013, 05:33:30 am »
Wow, sorry to see it cut short, we were all just starting to have fun seeing it start to do something.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Burnit0017

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2013, 05:48:29 am »
Hi, before the crash I had no notion of the forces acting on the turbine mast.  The data obtained revealed the PMA RPMs have to be doubled. The belt drive ratio will have to be increased, the blades will have to be modified to reduce drag, and the mast foundation will have to be a lot stronger. Waiting for warmer weather so testing can continue . 

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2013, 05:56:52 pm »
Hi, I had some free time so I fixed the VAWT, strengthen the foundation, removed the springs from the belt drive to prevent the belt from jumping, and it is operational again. To cold to take to take pictures. After reviewing the test results,  I am increasing the belt drive ratio a small amount. That should make the output about right for this size VAWT.  Waiting for wind…..

Offline ghurd

• Global Moderator
    • GHurd Solar
« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2013, 12:41:11 am »
Hi, before the crash I had no notion of the forces acting on the turbine mast.  The data obtained revealed the PMA RPMs have to be doubled. The belt drive ratio will have to be increased, the blades will have to be modified to reduce drag, and the mast foundation will have to be a lot stronger. Waiting for warmer weather so testing can continue .

THAT is why I am pro HAWT.
VAWTs look cheaper and easier, until you try to build one.

I do admire your tenacity...
Both with finishing a project and getting that thing flying again in this weather!
G-

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2013, 10:58:33 am »

Hi, the hard part for me was designing and finding the materials to allow me to fabricate a low cost VAWT. For this size VAWT I should be getting 4 to 5 amps @ 12 volts output at about 10 mph wind speed.  I still have a few problems to solve, but it can be done. Have you seen the Caltech study? It all depends on how you look at the numbers. I find this style VAWT easy to fabricate and my plan is make more then one and connect them in parallel. I live in a low wind area. The stack F&P may not be the best choice, but using a MPPT type circuit really helps the output. I now have the knowledge to fabricate a axial flux if it is required. Most of the cost for the project will go towards the mast.   ;D

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2013, 02:55:49 pm »

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2013, 06:56:55 am »

No wind, no power. The Pgen is just for testing the circuit and maybe burn a few calories.  :)

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2013, 06:45:26 pm »
Hi, after waiting the last 10 months for wind, the large blue VAWT revealed a problem with the plastic composit large blade rotor. The material sagged and the weight of the large blades pushed the belt drive pulley out of alignment. I will have to add lower rotor supports or upgrade the material that is being used to aluminum or steel. 

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2013, 07:44:25 am »
From the pics, that sagged quite a bit.  A setback, but one I'm sure you can handle.
Good luck
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2013, 01:48:12 pm »
Hi, the truth about the project is I really live in a low wind speed area. Fabricating a large VAWT is to expensive for the amount energy I can harvest. The high wind speed only happens a few times year for really short periods of time. Basically I taking the PMA and buck converter circuit and applying to a small steam engine project. I learned a lot about  power generation from the VAWT that I never would've realized if I had started with a  different project.