Author Topic: Buck converter for small wind turbine project  (Read 80185 times)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
Re: Buck converter for small wind turbine project
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2012, 02:31:25 am »
Hows this thing coming along? Ain't heard anything about it in a while... Either means you bailed on it (somehow I don't think so, and would certainly hope not!), or you're working feverishly to deliver the last 10% of the project in a victorious manner :)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline Burnit0017

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2012, 05:40:20 am »
Hi, I am still working on it. I had minor eye surgery and I am taking sometime to recover.  I was allowed to order a V3 MPPT data logger from Steve Hansel @ windgen.org. It will allow me to track changes that I make to project and I can use it to compare the results of my circuit to determine if I am heading in the right direction. I am fabricating a RPM sensor and anemometer, just a basic reed switch and magnet configuration. I redesigned my belt drive transmission to reduce fabrication cost. I had to complete a insulation project on my house before the snow arrives. I attended a Tektronix seminar, great presentation on there new spectrum analyzer. If anyone has a chance to attend, I highly recommend it. 

It is a very busy time of year. No pictures at this time but I should have a lot to report in the next few weeks. Thanks for the interest, enjoy the holidays.           

Offline Burnit0017

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2012, 07:49:58 pm »
Hi, completely assembled F&P with belt drive. I counted the ratio and it is 1:4, I made a mistake earlier . I am going to tighten the belts and run it with the drill press for a few hours. Manually spinning the center shaft ;which is direct drive; VOC about 80 volts @ about 40 RPM.

I ordered a intronics solar MPPT25, it has a battery charging algorithm. The only problem is the max input voltage is 80 VDC. I will have to add a OVP circuit that will trigger just under 80 volts and configure the F&P as four 3phase with 3 coils per phase connected in parallel.  I was communicating with one their engineers and he said it should not be a problem as long as the OVP triggers.  I plan to continue working on my circuit.   

http://www.intronics.com/products/pdf/MPPT25.pdf

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2012, 04:56:51 am »
Glad to see your eye is healing well... As I'm sure you are as well. That's a pretty machine there. ;)

I've lost track a bit... What kind of power are you looking to get in the final product? I've seen the numbers jump around a bit, as well as the configuration of the genny as it evolves, so I'm curious where it stands.

Steve

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2012, 05:51:52 am »
Hi, the project goal is 15 amps at 12 volts.  I am using a F&P axial flux. The stock modal is configured as a 3phase star with 12 coils per phase. The reason I switched to the F&P is because they are low cost, light weight, and it saves on fabrication man hours. The biggest problem with the F&P is high internal resistance of the stator.

The backshad forum has information on how to modify the stator to form multiple parallel  3phase configurations that lowers the internal resistance value. I am using small circuit board to make the alterations of  the connections of the coils. There is no cogging but there is drag. 

I verified the benefit of adding a MPPT with my circuit. I purchased a commercial MPPT controller that has a 25 amp limit. It was the only one I could find with a high input voltage that is within my price range. I will have to configure the F&P stator the form four 3 phase stars with 3 coils per phase connected in parallel.
I have to configure the OVP circuit trigger at 75 volts to protect the MPPT.

The VAWT is slow. I added the belt drive transmission with a 1:4 ratio. The blades on the VAWT are 6.5 feet with a J shape. I can adjust the blades size and position, the belt drive ratio, and the stator configuration for the best performance at low wind speeds when using a MPPT. 

Hopefully the system well be installed before it snows so I can test it over the winter.     

The weak areas of the project are the input voltage limit of the MPPT25 and the belt drive transmission.

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2012, 10:31:02 am »
Hi, completed belt drive for F&P PMA. It would be nice to find a supplier for the pulleys. The pulleys are DIY V wall. The belt drive ratio is 1 to 4.25

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2012, 01:58:24 pm »
Looking nice!

Decided on a color change?
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2012, 02:26:50 pm »
Hi, the red pulleys are cogged and the intent was they would function like a timing belt but they were not working well. I had  cut new pulleys with no teeth and the red material was out of stock. I installed smaller springs to reduce the load on the belts and it spins much easier. I have to install a RPM sensor and then I can install it outside on the mast.

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2013, 08:27:46 pm »
Hi, project update. The belt drive I fabricated is poor quality, the belts are slipping. Because the belt drive is the problem I am configuring a direct drive dual F&P PMA.  Plot shows manual operation of PMA in fixed duty cycle mode at 30,40,50, and 60%. I hope to have it outside on a mast in a few days.

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2013, 05:00:26 am »
I can't remember if it came up in this thread or not... But have you considered a chain drive instead of belts? Yes, they will be noisier, but they won't slip and certainly will have much less friction losses...

Just throwing it out there.

Steve

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2013, 06:23:17 am »
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I have decided to go with auto timing belts. This works well and I have resolved all the fabrication problem.  Large pulley 54 teeth, small pulley 34 teeth. The timing belt drive will be same configuration as the V belt drive without the slipping problem. I am fabricating new blades and I should have the new VAWT operational in a few days.  The new strategy is to use multi small VAWT connected in parallel. The cost will be low cost , they are easy to fabricate, and I will have a higher output at low wind speeds. Thanks again and I will post results when available.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2013, 12:54:01 am »
Once again, nice looking work.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Burnit0017

« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2013, 08:09:19 pm »
Hi, I installed new version of 5 blade VAWT. Cold….. waiting for wind.

Offline MadScientist267

• Rules? What rules?
« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2013, 01:30:42 am »
Awwwww yeeeah.... That's what's up...

But don't stare at it waiting for the wind. The rule is 3 days. Word has to spread from air molecule to air molecule untilit reaches the wind gods. Or so I'm told  ::) ;D

Nice build man, hope it performs just like it looks... Keep us posted ;)

Steve