Transportation > Electric Vehicles

Hybrids are not what they claim

(1/3) > >>

Wolvenar:
Not exactly EV but similar
I have been expecting to hear this as the manufacturers cheapen things and the tech gets older and they can live off the
*name*

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/04/20/honda-appeals-hybrid-mpg-court-award/?intcmp=obnetwork
( yeah big extremist media like fox I know.. but sometimes there is truth in odd places)

tomw:

--- Quote from: Wolvenar on April 21, 2012, 04:54:16 pm ---( yeah big extremist media like fox I know.. but sometimes there is truth in odd places)

--- End quote ---

And I bet they have proof it is Obama's fault, too!

Just sayin.

As an aside and not EV Amy has a 2011 Ford Fiesta. It has gotten a cumulative 32+ MPG average since we bought it. Including her sitting in it at work on break running for heat in the cold months.  And no batteries to buy in 5 years.  Ovrerall, compared to nearly $40 grand for a hybrid it was a no brainer for $13 grand to snag the Ford.

Tom

rossw:
I was interstate this week just gone and caught an interesting thing on the idiot box late one night - was a program about high-tech engines and high-tech car chassis and the manufacturing, transport and assembly etc - somewhere in europe.

They were rolling engines off the assembly every 2 and a bit minutes. Similar for painted body shells. The cars were being assembled and detailed and rolling off the line every 2 minutes and 20 seconds.

The cars automatically stop the engine when you stop at traffic lights - and instantly start and run as soon as you lean on the throttle. They were claiming between 34 and 45 km per litre of petrol, depending on how you drive, city vs highway etc.

These were the new Porche.... very nicely made from what I could see.

To put that in imperial terms - thats about 28 miles on 0.22 gallons - or near enough to 127 miles per gallon.

Mixerman:

--- Quote from: rossw on April 21, 2012, 08:10:45 pm ---

The cars automatically stop the engine when you stop at traffic lights - and instantly start and run as soon as you lean on the throttle. They were claiming between 34 and 45 km per litre of petrol, depending on how you drive, city vs highway etc.

--- End quote ---

I have heard of this to! There was a article in the Labor Tribune also I'll see if I can find it!

Sounds like it would be a bit rough on starters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghurd:
My friend had a Civic hybrid, for maybe 6 years and 150K miles?
He never got less than 50MPG.
Hybrids usually claim better MPG in city driving.
He got 50MPG From Youngstown OH to RI, and got 50MPG on the way back too.
He doesn't exactly drive for MPG, and will scare the cap out of you with his city driving.
He's not real big on maintence either.
He changes his oil (his words) "every 10,000 miles, weather it needs it or not".

He took it in for an oil change at the dealer.
They acted all amazed it went that far with the same battery pack, and recommended he get rid of it quick, before the battery needed replaced.
So they sold him a new Honda.
Yes, this was when hybrids were in ultra-high demand and almost not available at all... go figure.
G-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version