Off Grid Living / Camping > Fishing

$200 bounty on snakehead fish in Maryland

(1/5) > >>

kurt:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/maryland-offering-200-gift-cards-dead-snakehead-fish-163943568.html

the fact that these fish were set loose in there waters is an ecological disaster and sucks but a $200 basspro shop gift card per fish it would be a cool way to try to get some new toys if it was closer to me. the one guy in the article got 7 of the buggers i wonder what kinda toys he bought with that kinda scratch.

philb:
Is electro-shock therapy for fish legal in MD?

tomw:

--- Quote from: philb on April 09, 2012, 09:43:34 pm ---Is electro-shock therapy for fish legal in MD?

--- End quote ---

The DNR has done that here in ponds and lakes to cull the rough fish out. Apparently, done right, it just knocks them out and they float to surface to be sorted. Pick up the rough fish and the others recover and supposedly go on as if nothing happened.

Tom

Wolvenar:
Might be worth a trip out there ti fish :-)

ChrisOlson:
All they have to do is come to Wisconsin and get some of our 5 foot tiger muskies and let 'em go in those lakes that got snakeheads.  Muskies eat anything that will fit in their mouth - ducks, snakes, muskrats, northerns, walleyes, bass, other muskies.  And snakeheads would make a nice snack for them too

Muskies are apex predators.  The hybrids (Tiger Muskies, which are a cross between a male northern pike and female muskellunge) are sterile but they grow 1.5x faster than purebred muskies, and all they do is eat.  A big tiger muskie attacked a little girl that was wading in shallow water at a resort on Nelson Lake a few years ago.  The muskie grabbed her by the leg and dragged her out to deep water.  The girl's dad managed to get her away from the fish but her leg was all tore up and needed surgery to fix it.

Another guy got one that bit onto his foot a few years back:
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-69449032.html

We could actually use some of them snakeheads in our lakes here to provide food for the muskies so they leave the walleyes alone.

Northerns would eat them snakeheads too.  I had to search thru my photos to find this picture:

I caught this nice 10" crappie and when I was reeling in my fish this northern came out of the edge of a weedbed like a freaking torpedo and grabbed my crappie off my hook.  Northerns and muskies eat their prey head first, so when it grabbed my crappie it got snagged in the corner of the mouth by the hook.  Well, then the damn thing went under the boat and came out the other side.  My wife seen it and she had the net.  When I tried to get my line around the trolling motor the fish surfaced and she got it in the net.  The northern still had the crappie clamped firmly in its jaws and wouldn't let go of it.

I hate them frickin' northerns.  They slime the boat up when you get 'em in, and these big ones will bust everything all to hell in the boat by the time you get the hook out.
--
Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version