Off Grid Living / Camping > Gardening

Growing Watermelons

<< < (2/3) > >>

tomw:
Might try lawn clippings for organic matter. But so many chemicals on lawns now not sure I would do it.  I did this back in the '70s and it was nice. You need to let them cook in the plastic bags awhile and / or let them rot in a pile awhile or the green clippings rob the nitrogen from the soil and plants don't do well once they do their rotting the nitrogen goes back but is in use while rotting.

Leaves, too. Not walnut tho it has something in it that seems to stunt other plants.

It is all about organic materials rotting over time since that is how soil is made at the factory.

Just more rambling on the subject.

Tom

klsmurf:
Tom,    If I remember correctly, tannic acid is the problem in walnuts. There is also issues with pines. Don't remember the problem with them, but you you will notice not much will grow under them.

Wolvenar:
Pine needles are very acidic, this it the tree's natural way to knock out competition for resources.

WooferHound:
But pine bark is ok, it's the main ingredient in potting soil.

RichHagen:
Composted pine bark is frequently used for planting medium in green houses.  I have a container garden on the roof of a couple of buildings.  I've never managed much luck with watermelon from containers though.  I don't think the roots like the heat of the midsummer sun that heats up the containers they are in.  Not sure, but I've gotten fruit to start or set, but when it gets really hot it kind of shuts them down and kills the vines.  No problem with tomatoes and cucumbers though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version