Off Grid Living / Camping > Gardening

Growing Watermelons

<< < (3/3)

tomw:
@RichHagen;

I think tomatoes love warm soil. At least here they don't really start to go till the roots warm up regardless of how long they are in the ground.

I always wondered how roof gardens deal with that hot container bit.

We have used containers on the ground and had problems with heat and drying out quick unless you used a wick water system and religiously kept water available. I suppose in the city it is about the only open space with full sun, assuming no taller buildings nearby to the south.

Tom

RichHagen:
Yes Tom, my observations agree, the tomatoes thrive in the heat up till the upper 90's Fahrenheit and the peppers too.  The main issue for me is keeping it watered when it gets really hot - even with the sub-irrigated planters I build, a full grown tomato plant can empty  out the reservoir in one day.  I have planned to add automatic watering, but it is one of many unfinished projects at this point. I had posted images from a few years ago at:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/richhagen/

Jalepeno peppers seem to thrive. 

View looking towards downtown

Poorboy:
Sounds like you got plenty of good advice already. especially the thinning out late fruit. That way the plant puts all it's effort into those fruit that you want to harvest. Watermelons like slightly acidic soil so don't use any lime. Might try different varieties too. There's tons of them. Check out rareseeds dot com. Also check your ag extension site to see what does best where you are. That goes with growing anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version