Project Journals > Chris Olson

Boat Batteries

<< < (2/6) > >>

Wolvenar:
Not hard so much on the boats, but the impellers are made SO cheap these days..
Seems I can get good seals but not impellers.

ChrisOlson:
That Merc gets a lot of hours on it backtrolling.  I keep fixing it because it's the only one I've ever found that will idle down to where you can count the number of teeth on the flywheel with it running.  It will run like that for hours on end without complaining.

Then when we get ready to move to a new spot tell my wife, "Sit down, shut up and hang on - 'cause this ain't no hayride."  Crank the throttle wide open and it will launch that boat right up out of the water and up on the pad in about two seconds and it will go 40 mph.

They don't build motors like that anymore.  This one was built when Mercury Marine still built them in Fon Du Lac, Wisconsin and they tested every single one at full power before it left the plant.

I got the motor jacked on the transom a bit so the cavitation plate is right on top of the pad:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I restored this boat a few years back and put all the new Alumacraft graphics on it.  Shot it with PPG Delstar/Delthane:

We've had a couple other boats but none that are as good as this one for all around general fishing.  It's got a 25 gallon aerated livewell that will hold a 20 lb northern (never put two 20 lb northerns in the same livewell because you ain't never seen such a fight as you're about to see over who owns the livewell)**.  It's got an older MinnKota 565 on it and I think I might put one of them newer 24 volt MinnKota's on it this year that has AutoPilot in it.

** You can put a couple or three 5-6 lb walleyes in there and they get along just fine.  Put two big northerns in there and they will blow the cover open on the livewell and the loser of the fight will get out.  Then you got a big pissed off fish flopping around in the boat that's got teeth that can take your fingers right off, and you have to subdue it by clubbin' it over the head with an oar handle.  And that only works for about 10 minutes before the fish comes to and starts wreaking havoc again.  Frickin' fresh water sharks......
--
Chris

ChrisOlson:
This is still the best fishin' video of all time    8)

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgFhJN4H0T0
--
Chris

tomw:
Hehe even better than I hoped for.

I figured he would gun it and drive the boat out from under her on that seat.

Tom

DBCollen:
I have a pair of 115 mercs on my 21 ft whaler, they idle on 2 cylinders, and idle down to 700 rpm. I can troll at 1.2kt on one engine, and they just sip fuel at idle and don't foul the plugs. but when I open both engines up I burn 25 gallons/hr @ 48mph

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version