Project Journals > Chris Olson

Boat Batteries

<< < (6/6)

ChrisOlson:
Well, got everything wired up and it all tests out good.

I got some 80 VDC rated 90 amp breakers from Tom like this:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I put one on the trolling motor battery bank - replaced the old inline marine fuse with it:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Having a breaker on there is a lot easier to reset at 11:00 at night when you accidentally short something out on the trolling motor and the whole boat goes dead because the Main Fuse blew.

I also installed a battery selector switch so I can start the outboard from either the starting battery, or the one battery in the trolling bank that has this breaker on it.  The outboard starter draws 150 amps surge and 80 amps continuous during cranking.  That breaker handles starting the outboard off the trolling bank with ease, even with everything else in the boat turned on.

Works awesome - thanks Tom!

Got the Merc running after the new water pump installed.  Wanted to take the boat out on the Yellow River for a run today.  But it's cold - way too cold to take the boat out for a joy ride.  So I ran it with the muffs on it.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9a6tuIVO9g--
Chris

DBCollen:
I thought that breaker looked familliar, I sent some of those to Tom a few years ago. I only have a few hundred left  :)

tomw:

--- Quote from: DBCollen on April 01, 2012, 12:15:58 am ---I thought that breaker looked familliar, I sent some of those to Tom a few years ago. I only have a few hundred left  :)

--- End quote ---

I told you they would get used!

Bet you did not know they were Marine Rated[TM] !  :D :o 8)

Tom

ChrisOlson:
Well, got to take 'er out for a joy ride on the Yellow River.  The boat didn't sink.  The motor didn't quit.  Just have to install my new trolling motor and electronics.  Then wait another month for fishing season to open   :o

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNHMBCFP8vg--
Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version