Project Journals > Chris Olson

Boat Batteries

(1/6) > >>

ChrisOlson:
I just took my boat batteries off our big bank and getting ready to put them back in the boat:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

These batteries will have their 8th birthday in April.  They survived an entire winter of being boiled at 30+ volts (wired in series) hooked up with our Surrettes and powering our place.  I load tested them with my AVR (one hour test on each one) and they both test with the same specs as new on the RC (Reserve Capacity) test.

I'm finding more and more, as I work with deep cycle batteries, that the cause of early death of these things is under-charging and inactivity, not over-charging and deep cycling.

The Mercury four-cylinder survived the winter too   :)

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoF5kHHQk1Q--
Chris

DBCollen:
And now you need an new water pump impeller, they die in less than 5 seconds if you run them dry.

Dustin

ChrisOlson:
The new impeller and wear plates are laying on the workbench.  The pump that's in it was shot last year and wouldn't pump any water out the pee hole unless the engine was running at 2,500 rpm or above.

Busted the reed block on the center of the crank in 2007 and lost the two center cylinders.  So had to split the crankcase and put a new reed block in it.  Then blew the head water jacket cover gasket in 2008 and had to replace that.  2009 blew the exhaust baffle gaskets and got water in the cylinders:

2010 lost the seal on the prop shaft and had to rebuild the gearcase.  2011 the water pump went to hell and just replacing that now.

Otherwise she's been pretty good and only left us stranded on the lake once each year   ;D
--
Chris

Wolvenar:
As usual write up and images Chris

People might call me finicky, or maybe just lucky to never have to much trouble with boat motors. I have went through a pump every few years, but no one has ever caught me stranded on the lake. Every fall/winter I do a minor tear down the motors that I use that year and kind of do a once over. Gears, seals, pump etc are checked re lubed and readied to take out the next spring. I really hate being stranded anywhere with any kind of vehicle.

rossw:

--- Quote from: Wolvenar on March 25, 2012, 01:51:28 am ---People might call me finicky, or maybe just lucky to never have to much trouble with boat motors.

--- End quote ---

Wow, you guys sure hard on boats!

I've not had an engine problem, leak in the hull, steering dramas, hydraulics failure, fuel leak or electrical problem in 30 years.

(Haven't had a boat for 35 years either, but hey, lets not let facts get in the way of a good story!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version