Project Journals > Wolvenar

Hydronic heating system

<< < (2/4) > >>

artv:
Hi Wolv,
When I did my kitchen and dining room (~300sq/ft) I started at the kitchen, ran the outside to the farthest point away (far end of dng rm), then looped back on 12" centers, so the last run coming out ran along side of the hot coming in.
I assume the hot going in transfers some heat to the cooler coming out?
If yours is only temporary, might try filling the voids with filter sand from swimming pools, might add thermal mass and would be easy to modify down the road.
It's a very nice way of heating.
I look forward to seeing more details on your boiler.
artv

rossw:
Here's a couple of sections of my flooring... it shows the technique to totally avoid crossovers.

In all, I used about 3600 metres (2.25 miles) of pipe in the floor....

ghurd:
"This will certainly be a post that is ever changing"

I'll throw this out as a silly idea-

Water leaving the floor is still pretty warm.
Cut a slot in the concrete like adding a floor drain, dig down 16"(24"?), bury a 10' piece of 4" PVC.
Just before the water goes back for reheating, send it into the big pipe.

Seems like not a super-major project (in the big picture) to get some storage?
G-

Wolvenar:
Interesting idea, I did ponder placing pipes under the concrete in the same manner from the side when I redo the concrete in the room beside it.. but I gave up on that idea. I have been digging down, placing drainage, insulation, and plastic,  a couple feet of sand on that, the pex then the concrete on all of it. It works well but takes a long time to heat up all of that, but takes a long time to cool also.
bI have a water table that's rather close to the floor as is. 
I think its something less than 10 feet down during parts of the year..
So without insulation the heat is carried off by the moving water from lake to lake on each side of me. 
I have a LOT of heat storage in the garage (I'll post on this later), and in other parts of the basement that I have replaced the concrete, and more to go.
Just not much to speak of in this bedroom now.

m12ax7:
Hello!

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more pics on your boiler.   Gas fired?  Open atmosphere?   What do you have planned for the boilers heat exchanger?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version