Author Topic: Hydronic heating system  (Read 16634 times)

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: Hydronic heating system
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 04:41:45 am »
as the cement was poured and vibrated in.

When we built our place, we had a LOT of blocks that we were going to core-fill.
We knocked the bottom out of the blocks so we could wash out the morter that inevitably gets in the middle that would have made it hard to put rebar and concrete in later.

You get an idea of the number of holes to fill - this is part of one wall!

The guys busily making sure all the rebar was in and facing the right way, and watering the blocks before we poured concrete in

Thank goodness for concrete pumps!

I can't find the picture I wanted - of the guys lifting concrete a bucket at a time to pour into a couple of blocks they missed!

Anyhow, the other thing I was going to say - don't over-vibrate the concrete in those blocks. They're fairly brittle, and if you vibe to much - they burst! Fortunately it didn't happen to us, but I saw another site where they did - and had to pull down a months worth of work to fix it!

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: Hydronic heating system
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 05:31:14 am »
@Ross
I am glad you mentioned that you can destroy a LOT of work if your not careful.
Cement weighs up fast, and creates a lot of pressure.
Adding to this pressure is the fact water and the components of the cement don't compress, so it translates that vibrators energy to the blocks very well. It becomes a lot of stress for them to handle.

When I went back with it I only needed the briefest amount of time and area to work the PEX on top into place.

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)