Project Journals > Bryan

2hp Motor Conversion

(1/2) > >>

Bryan1:
G'day Guy's,
                   Back in 2009 this was my first motor conversion based on a brandnew 2hp 3 phase motor. I machined up a new rotor out of solid bar stock for it.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Rather than go with the twisted pole I went with the offset method and went 43.5 degrees for each pole.

I used 8 off 2x1x1/2 neo magnets with a countersunk hole.  I superguled and screwed each magnet down then cast the rotor in epoxy.

Here it is installed in the motor.

This genny has been going on my shed array ever since i put it up, it has a 3 metre diameter blade set which was also the first blades I ever made. The genny has seen a heap of 100k + winds over the years and it laps it up and often tops out the 20 amp gauge I have set up for it. As it does use stock winding I do want to take it down one day and do a full rewire so I can get the best potential out of those neo magnets.

I'll take a new pic of the genny on the tower soon and update this post with it

Regards Bryan

Wolvenar:
looks like a nice build, very clean job. 

tomw:

yep, looks like a nice one going up!

How much beer did it really take to get it finished? 8)

Tom

artv:
Hi Bryan ,
Is there 3 layers of coils, eight coils/layer??
Is that the reason for a rewind ,to put more coils in , shorter tooth span, so more flux linking the coils?
With 1" wide poles should the coil span be ~the same or does the laminated core teeth change things??
Thanks.....artv

Bryan1:
ArtV,
        The motor is a stock standard 4 pole 1.5Kw (2hp) with the original windings and each pole on the rotor is 2 magnets side by side so the magnet poles went NN-SS-NN-SS. Now the whole point of me wanting to do a rewind is to use thicker wire and have all 6 or 12 wires coming out for different configurations so I can get the most power out of it.

Regards Bryan

P.S. Tom it was a while ago but one would have to say as it took a couple of months to make probably close to a pallet of beer was consumed in the making........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version