Project Journals > Chris Olson

180 volt 3.2 meter turbine

<< < (2/15) > >>

Watt:

--- Quote from: ChrisOlson on February 12, 2012, 08:40:45 pm ---
--- Quote from: Wolvenar on February 12, 2012, 06:43:21 pm ---With some integration of a 1:1transmission and a heavier shaft, the genny would have survived  the blade coming apart, and it would likely still be out there today. The transmission loss would have been negligible as far as losses I would think given I would rather it still been alive making some power.

--- End quote ---

Wolv,

The transmissions I build are 95.5% efficient at cut-in and 94.8% efficient at 3.3 kW input power.  What that equates to, basically, is 8 watts loss at cut-in speed, mostly due to viscous drag from oil on the chain.  At 3.3 kW input it equates to 172 watts loss in the drivetrain, and about half of that is due to the extra set of bearings you have to run when you have two shafts as opposed to one.

On a smaller rotor where you would only have say 1 kW input power, then the efficiency is right at 95%, meaning you'll lose 50 watts in the drive.

There is no "free lunch" with gearing - you have to trade torque for speed to make gains in gen efficiency to get it to work out to a positive net gain.  And I think the smaller the rotor, the harder it is to justify using gearing on it.

On these very high voltage turbines I'm building now, it's a hands-down no-brainer to use gearing.  There is no way to build generators that put out 180 volts at only .47 ohm resistance @ 400 rpm without gearing, and still get the coils to fit in the stator.
--
Chris

--- End quote ---

What size are the rotors for this one?

ChrisOlson:
They are 255 mm with 2 x 1 x .5 N42's

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

This is the same generator as the 12G turbine has, except running at 1,300 rpm on this one, and five more turns of wire in the stator.  This one has .343 gears in it.
--
Chris

Wolvenar:
Notice 1:1 ratio.
Maybe not so much a transmission, as a larger shaft in bearings, with a rubber or padded joiner connecting the two in a strait line.
This would be because the motor shaft was extremely lightweight for the job it was doing.
Any which way I like the way you setup your bearings, and an adaptation of this would have saved the alternator. I am not sure if its because I have the access to mills, lathes etc, but I don't find that it would be to incredibly hard to replicate a design like Chris has. I am sure there are things I do not know about it, but with work, and maybe a couple tries I am confident I could pull it off. I'm reasonably sure there are a few here also that could if they set out to do it.
 Not to say Chris's design isn't something set apart from the ordinary.

rossw:

--- Quote from: Wolvenar on February 13, 2012, 12:05:49 am ---Not to saying Chris's design is not something apart from the ordinary.

--- End quote ---

I've read that a bunch of times, and too many double-negatives for me to comprehend!

Wolvenar:
yeah,. I do that a lot. seems that growing up in a multiple language  family screwed me up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version