Author Topic: Beginnings of a new genny ( put on hold since at least 2006)  (Read 8705 times)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Beginnings of a new genny ( put on hold since at least 2006)
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:45:11 am »
This is dedicated to zubbly, This was one of the last things we talked about before he passed away
He passed away before I finished it, so he never got to see this machine actually make power in the short time I had it on a tower
Pardon the really sloppy post and maybe lack of detailed images I only took any of these to keep zubbly
up to date with what progress I made, and if I needed input. Its been years so details are also getting hazy.

(I'll update this with more detail as I find the pictures)

One day at a local scrap yard I dug up a 5 hp 3 phase electric motor, and remembering zubbly's success with these made a deal on it and brought it home.
After a few hours of chat with zubs, we came up with a plan to do this conversion in stages, to se if I would be happy with it at one stage or another, each of course costing more.

(click to view in larger high resolution)

as it sit in the junkyard

Torn down with some size comparison

On the lathe
I intentionally cut this thing so the surface was very rough,  to the point of sharp to get epoxy to bond well
So far its held up well having done it this way, though it has been out of commission a couple years.
I have to find time to build or locate a new tower that can handle this thing.

Deciding on how to fit magnets here

Cheap easy way to hold the epoxy while pouring, after it was done I put it back on the lathe rounded, and smoothed everything

Skipping a bit while locating more pics,

This was the resulting waveform on an oscilloscope with the (16 round mags 4 sets of 4)
( Yes this scope was the one I got from Ratometer )

I really don't remember the output of this thing, and I only had it up a short time before the tower started showing signs it would not handle the torque.  If I remember right I saw over 3KW a couple times in high winds, but it wasn't matched right to the load or the prop, so I don't really know its true capability yet
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: Beginnings of a new genny ( put on hold since at least 2006)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:58:02 pm »
Well the RE fever is back..

I decided to see how this altenator has faired the extreme temps here..
 I have stored this outside on a little bench on the back of one of our sheds *sort of* covered since taking it down years ago.

Well ants spiders and who knows what else decided this would be a great home in that time, dragging in sand from 4' below.

So I try to give this thing a turn..... and it don't move :-\

Brace the thing up a bit and give it another go, and I hear c.r.u.n.c.h.....
Figuring its just all the sand and bug junk in it, I hauled it over to the pressure washer  and sprayed out..
It wasn't as bad but its a sure thing the bearings have rusted up

I brought it in the shop and pulled it apart.
It doesn't look to bad actually. I was worried the epoxy would have cracked or let go and the mags would be dragging.
Thankfully that has not happened.

But sure enough both bearings will need to be replaced.

So in the absense of zubbly, does anyone know where I can find a REPUTABLE place for these bearings?

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:31:13 pm »
The bearing type(s) are listed in the motor tag image.

Offline ksouers

• Missouri, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:09:33 pm »
I've used these guys for small bearings though they carry a full assortment of sizes.

http://www.vxb.com/

Prices seem reasonable to me, but then I don't buy a lot of bearings.

I don't know if you can match up the numbers on their site or not. If you measure the old bearings you should be able to find something usable with their search tool:  http://www.gotbearings.com/

Kevin
As far from the city as I can get but still keep my job.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:13:13 pm »
Thank you ksouers I'll look
I found bearing and ordered ( 77507) from someone I have already dealt with before on ebay, one to go.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:30:46 pm »
OK both ordered
Might be a good idea though if anyone has a good resource like ksouers mentioned, maybe we can put together a list of known reputable companies?

Offline Bryan1

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:45:20 pm »
Hi wolv,
             The idea I came up with for my motor conversions is to use a dual row ball bearing for the rear bearing. As the rear bearing does take all the thrust of the prop going to the heavier bearing on the rear in my opinion is a good idea. My 1.5Kw conversion has been flying for a few years now with a 3 metre prop and last weekend I did hear a squeak coming form the genny so it does look like it's time to bring mine down for a look. With all this talk about motor conversions I'm going to have to get somemore epoxy so I can get going on my 4kw conversion. Like my first one I do like to fully encase the magnets in epoxy to seal the magnets against the elements and with the 4kw it will help on the insertion and removal of the rotor so no mags can be damaged in the process.

Regards Bryan

Offline kurt

• Senior Moderator
    • my ham radio blog
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:47:34 pm »
http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/index.html

these guys have a location here in town the local location here has always done right by me for all my bearing and industrial belt and chain needs.
Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get  Mark Twain

my small engine page

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 10:17:19 pm »
@ Bryan

As you can see I did the same with my two conversions so far ( encase in epoxy)
This one has magnets acquired mainly from TomW, and the remainder from wondermagnet years and years ago.
The ones from Tom had no coating of any kind, and the wondermagnet ones were nickle coated, but I peeled it off to help the epoxy adhere to them.

The image doesn't show it well because of the dirt and such but after cutting it to size I put another layer of epoxy over the magnets and then a light coating of paint I had left over from another project for the kids.
So far there doesn't show any degrading of the epoxy or any kind of corrosion or rust on the magnets, and it has been relatively exposed to the elements.