Project Journals > WooferHound

150 watt Solar Power System

<< < (3/3)

Wolvenar:
You might be shocked how fast a fridge will draw those batteries down.

madlabs:
As to hinges, the pipe in a pipe type works great. I made a set up like this for my panels. I hinged it in the center, on the edge of a shipping container. Nice and easy to adjust.

Jonathan

WooferHound:

--- Quote from: Wolvenar on July 15, 2012, 09:40:53 pm ---You might be shocked how fast a fridge will draw those batteries down.

--- End quote ---

Fortunately it's a newer refrigerator and my Kill-a-Watt meter says that it pulls 200 watts, no idea of the surge.
So 200 watts is a little less than 20 amps from the batteries. I think I could run the frig for an hour or so during the brightest time of the day and still keep the stuff in the freezer from thawing. This was my biggest problem during the outage last year that lasted 5 days.

rossw:

--- Quote from: WooferHound on July 16, 2012, 03:17:59 pm ---I think I could run the frig for an hour or so during the brightest time of the day and still keep the stuff in the freezer from thawing.

--- End quote ---

I think you might be surprised/shocked/dismayed at how quickly your fridge will thaw out without a lot more running than just an "hour or so" a day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version