Project Journals > Users Projects

Going off-grid in Idaho

<< < (20/23) > >>

dochubert:

Happy Birthday David!  Sorry to hear you are still dealing with the pandemic fraud.  One of the reasons we chose rural Idaho when we left commie california, was to be among people who simply ignored the 'mandates'.  Not everybody sadly.  I had to turn around and leave places where they required face diapers during the worst of it.  Luckily, it's pretty much gone around here now.  Crazy as it sounds, the holdouts are doctor's offices and hospitals.  Places where a thinking person would imagine sanity and common sense would prevail.  I'm so disillusioned with most doctors now that I'll be in trouble if I ever need one.  I don't think I'll ever trust one again considering they pretty much all went along with the obvious fraud.  Many, many people are dead or will die sometime soon or are permanently injured because those doctors went along with the fraud.  And I've said too much already.

I mentioned previously trying a couple experiments using an aerial to harvest power, with little success.  I have one more to try.  Tesla claimed it could be done and has a patent on a method. Looks like this;

Snowed all day today so didn't get out there to try it.  Hoping to work on it tomorrow.  Also need to work on setting up the motor/generator set to provide isolation to protect the batteries and inverter.  Not helping myself if I blow out my inverter.

dochubert:

Ok, now that I've stuck my neck out there and said I'm going to try the Tesla experiment, I find I'm kinda stuck.  :-[  The metal plate, no problem.  The transformer, I have a couple to try.  That vibrating switch, which I hardly glanced at before, is something else again. 
Seemed simple at first glance.  I'm an old electrician, not an electronics whiz.  The best thing I could think of was a rotating magnet and a reed switch.  Not very practical.
I have a ne555 relay, but it stays on too long to be useful.

Any suggestions appreciated.

David HK:
If you are as old as I am just give up the idea.

I have been working on a project for 26 years to design and build the finest combined all stainless steel roasting spit and BBQ in the whole of Hong Kong.

There are many accessories such as the circular dining table, BBQ forks with unusual capacities, scissors lift for high and low level, a Lazy Susan for the dining table, a cheese board to fit inside the Lazy Susan, four levelling legs that are a sight for mechanical engineers to behold, modified Bain Maries, a rotisserie, and much more.

This week I made four stainless steel S hooks to hold the support framework elements for the weather cover to sit on when the BBQ is in use.

How stupid of me not to have made these simple things years ago.

On Friday last I spend some delightful hours cleaning my work and yesterday (Saturday) my wife, daughter and I had a delayed BBQ to celebrate my recent birthday.

The good news is that I have I run out of useful ideas for new things and the entirety is only in the prototype stage at the moment.

Forgo your latest project, take a rest, and have a BBQ.

David

A couple of seven year old photographs are attached.

dochubert:

Thanks David,
I'll have to put the project on hold until I can come up with an oscillating switch anyway.  I have plenty of other projects I can work on in the meantime.
BBQ does sound pretty good!

We have managed to stay off grid for the last several days (since the snow days) since there's been enough sun.  That's something anyway.  Will have to start switching to grid overnight soon though.  Days are getting short.

Today I painted lamps for my wife, cut and split firewood, cleaned out a rain gutter, worked on cleaning up the back shed and repaired the cord on a heater (cat chewed it).  Enough for one day.

Wolvenar:
David HK

<rant>
I'll partially answer that question about young people.
Because schools have taught them to not step out of line, be a good little consumer.
Why would anyone need to know more than the minimal skill needed for their desired trade?
Are we all supposed to spend our time only on social media, and legacy media where we can be told what to do and what to think?
etc
</rant>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version