Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Automation, Controls, Inverters, MPPT, etc

Any thoughts about water cooled tube for transformer, instead of wire?

(1/5) > >>

Superscan811:
Had an idea and probably not a good one,
BUT
Seeing that the main limiting factor for a transformer is heat, why couldn't you use copper tubing, instead of wire, in a transformer?
When the "coils" start to get a bit too warm, circulate a bit of water through them.
You would need to replace the standard fan with a fan/radiator/pump, to cool the tubes during use but it would make for a more compact transformer you would think.
Also, you could get away with the minimal amount of primary windings, as the tube wouldn't be getting as hot.

Thoughts???

noneyabussiness:
If it were possible, the cooling potential would be awesome

Pete:
Many years ago I worked on water cooled electric motors. They were cooling water pumps for power stations. They were wound with pvc coated wire, stranded to be flexible. Water was circulated through the motors and windings to cool them. For their size they were very powerful.
Also some air conditioners  in large buildings circulate refrigerant gasses through the windings to cool them, same thing small motor large horsepower. One I saw and worked on would have been around 60 to 100 hp if it were air cooled but was actually 500 hp because of having freon cooling.
Your idea of tube would work, winding the transformer would be problematic. Possibly just the low voltage side could be tube which would also cool the hv side.
Have fun
Pete

bj:
   They also make water cooled TIG equipment.  Water cools the power cable, then torch head, then returns to rad/fan
via a separate tube.
   Used to use one to weld aluminum

solarnewbee:
I think a cooling system made for desktop cpu coolers and wrap the outside of the xfmr, wrapping through the hole in the center May invite trouble damaging wires and characteristics of the xfmr, wrap with 5/16-3/8” copper tubing. Find some heat sink adhesive compound (eBay, Amazon)so that the tubing makes positive contact. The adhesive does not set up hard but is flexible and should be able to allow you to remove it later if necessary. Maybe wraps some Mylar tape first.  Make sure that the copper tubing connections are made outside the inverter just in case of oops!

The cpu cooling kits are closed loop so I think that’s best really. Another recommendation would be to make your tubing coils on a metal can or piece of wood the same diameter thus avoiding possible damage. I do this with refrigeration coils when I need a consistent coil wrap.

Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version