Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Renewable Energy Q&A

Charging and Using Lithium Ion 18650 Batteries

<< < (2/7) > >>

WooferHound:
After learning some more I have discovered another issue to watch out for when Charging Lithium Ion batteries.
--- Do not attempt to Charge a Cell that is below Freezing Temperature. ---
The cells have trouble accepting the charge when they are that cold and it causes the same problems as Overcharging.
But fine to discharge in temperatures as low as -20c ... -5f.

Pete:
Hi Woof, thanks for the information on the Lithium cells. Many people are being lured into using Lithium batteries for their solar systems these days. From what I have seen I would not be prepared to go that way until they are proven. Seems that there are plenty of issues with correct charging that need careful attention.
I just bought a new set of Gel batteries for my solar system, my 20 year old Flooded cells finally gave up the ghost.
I did look into lithium or LIFE PO4 batteries but the cost and fickleness seemed not worth it.
To me for large systems Lead acid have proven their reliability.
Glad to see you having so much fun with LED's, they sure have come a long way in a short time.
Pete

rossw:

--- Quote from: Pete on December 29, 2018, 02:40:23 pm ---I just bought a new set of Gel batteries for my solar system, my 20 year old Flooded cells finally gave up the ghost.
I did look into lithium or LIFE PO4 batteries but the cost and fickleness seemed not worth it.
To me for large systems Lead acid have proven their reliability.

--- End quote ---

I ditched my lead almost 5 years ago, and went LFP (LiFePO4).
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!
They are stiffer, more efficient, smaller, lighter. They don't droop, they behave a lot like capacitors. Charging is a breeze.
I simply stopped worrying about batteries any more and the freedom is wonderful.
I can't say it's a "big" system - I've about 45kWh (900AH @ 52V) and they really are chalk and cheese.
One big difference between your site and mine, is that even in the coldest part of winter, mine never get below about 14 degrees C, due in no small part to being in an underground bunker :)

WooferHound:

--- Quote from: rossw on December 29, 2018, 03:42:37 pm ---I ditched my lead almost 5 years ago, and went LFP (LiFePO4).
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!
They are stiffer, more efficient, smaller, lighter. They don't droop, they behave a lot like capacitors. Charging is a breeze.
I simply stopped worrying about batteries any more and the freedom is wonderful.
I can't say it's a "big" system - I've about 45kWh (900AH @ 52V) and they really are chalk and cheese.
One big difference between your site and mine, is that even in the coldest part of winter, mine never get below about 14 degrees C, due in no small part to being in an underground bunker :)

--- End quote ---

+1 on everything that Ross just said

Yes, big lithium batteries are more expensive. But they are efficient and will suck up the juice and aren't stingy about giving it up either. Plus the added cost of a different charging system.

All the things that you should be worried about are mentioned in my Original post at the top. I even added the part about charging if frozen in there. The charging systems have been figured out and are cheap and easy to build yourself from off-the-shelf PC boards. A good Lithium battery will cycle 6000 times with 80% discharge. Check out this one from Battle Born. It has all the protections except Balancing, built into the battery.
https://battlebornbatteries.com/shop/12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/

Then there are these from Alibaba, cheap and need external protection boards.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Lithium-Iron-Phosphate-3-2v-40ah_50041926622.html?locphyscl=9012725&pla_localcode=&pla_country=US&pla_prdid=50041926622&src=sem_ggl&src=sem_ggl&adgrp=64560580995&cmpgn=1658657278&pla_group=293946777986&ntwrk=g&pla_lang=en&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIquuXponG3wIVlVuGCh0FngfoEAQYBCABEgIByfD_BwE&dvcmdl=&pla_adtype=pla&pla_channel=online&position=1o4&pla_mrctid=128518556&device=c&mark=google_shopping&mark=shopping&locintrst=#shopping-ads

Pete:
Hi Ross, just wondering . Did you have to change regulators? Your system is big by my standards. We use 12 volt and have 660 amp hour batteries, so 900 amp hour 52 volt is huge to me.
What batteries did you use?
I will look at Life Po4 when my current batteries die, which hopefully won't be for another 20 years. Who knows what will be the new chemistry then.
Cheers
Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version