Transportation > Human Powered

Flashing LED Lights for Bicycle

<< < (2/5) > >>

WooferHound:
I guess I had forgotten how hard it is to make useful power.
Now i am thinking I need to try and make a small magnetic circuit with 2 magnets and a U shaped piece of metal to carry the flux between them and through the coil.
Already starting to worry that the magnets will unbalance the tire. Want to avoid any iron cores so no energy is taken away from the rolling bike.

WooferHound:
I have a lot of time to think about it while riding the bike and I believe the solution isn't magnets & coils. It would be so easy to make Solar Bike Lighting. I might even have everything I need here already. Might want to get a battery specific to the purpose. Could start with a Solar Yard Light and work from there.

hiker1:
Stopped in a my local Home Depot..they had large hooded solar yard lites for a buck eighty...took one home ..let it charge all day...nice bright flood lite..burned all night...thought about hooking to bike as well....😜

hiker1:
Should have grabed a few more..end of season sale..ILE buzz back ...pick up a few more..?

WooferHound:

--- Quote from: hiker1 on September 26, 2018, 11:03:12 am ---Stopped in a my local Home Depot..they had large hooded solar yard lites for a buck eighty...took one home ..let it charge all day...nice bright flood lite..burned all night...thought about hooking to bike as well....😜

--- End quote ---

That is too cool, almost perfect to add directly to the bike.

I am going to make my Bike Lights from this Solar Garden Accent Lighting unit. In this picture I have pried the unit apart and you can see both the front and the back. Also disassembled a computer battery pack and got six 18650 Lithium batteries that are rated 3.6 volts at 2600 mah. The one in the picture has been running a Red & White LED for 12 hours.

The plan is to cut out the AA battery holders to make room to glue in the larger Lithium battery. The Solar panel measured 4.75 volts in full Sun so I should be able to put a diode inline so the battery will charge up to 4 volts. There will be a toggle switch on the handlebars to control it. There will be 10 LEDs total: 2 white facing forward,  2 white facing the road over both tires, and 4 red in a square pattern facing the rear. Fairly Tricked Out and very visible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version