Author Topic: LEDs and night fishing  (Read 2338 times)

Offline DaveF

LEDs and night fishing
« on: May 13, 2017, 04:32:04 am »
This is my first ever attempt at a post here, so please, if I am doing something wrong please tell me and take it down. I'm an ex-ichthylogist (a fisheries scientist) and for some time I've wanted to try using submersible LED lights for night fishing, particularly for squid and shrimp - rather like the light-trap entomologists use for catching insects. This seems like the right sort of place to ask if anyone has tried this sort of thing, and what if any problems they encountered?

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
Re: LEDs and night fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 07:05:27 am »
Gosh, I tried this about 30 years ago.
One of the early LEDs (anything you like as long as it was red), and a "click" - an earpiece.

Early tests looked promising. I was fishing in freshwater, and caught 3 fish when the others caught 1 each.
Unfortunately it seemed to be a statistical anomoly. A few hours later, it was dead even across the board.

Offline hiker1

• hiker
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 01:20:18 pm »
Did the same about 30 years ago.....led with a couple aaa.s as a weight...caught a few trout out of a stocked lake...batts came apart after awhile..taped togeather...fun try out...
just do it

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 11:22:10 pm »
I have several lures with LED lights in them. They do great for Bass and Northern Pike. These seem to work best right before dark after sunset, while there is still light. You can check ebay and the other normal outlets for chinese made cheap lures for this kind of fishing. There are of also the branded and super spendy ones that are really no better. Or make your own for use of course. Some areas ban this though for various reasons so best check first.

Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)