Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Wind and Hydro

Blades stalling

(1/19) > >>

TurboMiles:
Can someone recommend a blade set and hub that I can purchase for my 1000 watt max turbine.
My currently blades are a 5 blade set from mw&s called g5, they are stalling in 15+mph wind. Or would deleting 2 blades be a better option?

niall:
Hi Turbomiles

i think i know those blades , its hard to get much out of them  , something like the ametek tape motors might match better . the swept area isnt very big.

a picture of the alternator and tail would help  (lots of variables)   but if it can put out 1k at a safe rpm consistantly without overheating   i,m guessing youd be looking at a standard 3m ( minimum ) diameter prop , 3 blades .....its will depend on the characteristics of your alt and your furling tail set up

if you dont mind nipping away at wood its not too hard to carve a set ...nothing fancy and will work just fine

mounting them onto your alternator could be tricky as wooden blades will be a lot heavier ( more stress/bearing load ) than the mws plastic ones .

taking off 2 i dont think will help ....it sounds like you need a bigger swept area to overcome the stall  .....ish   

i think if you change one aspect of the mill........................you almost denfinetly have to change a few more

there was one commercial mill ( a whisper maybe ) that used blade extenders at the hub to increase swept area a bit , the extenders were left out on its smaller cousin ( same blades ) .....an option but i,m not sure about that though ...... 

good luck with it  :)

TurboMiles:
Thanks for your help!
It's an HYE 1000L, factory blades snapped off, MW&S G5 blades replaced them.  It's always had a tracking problem so I modified the tail and tail boom.  It tracks so good now but doesn't make power above 14/15 mph.

TurboMiles:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/311659534246?_mwBanner=1

Is this worth it?

niall:
 :)

ok i see the pics now

those mws blades are different to the ones i had ......mine were the smaller " game of thrones  " variety , those look much better

so you have roughly a 2m diameter prop . sticking to the stall issue you mighnt have to go much bigger to improve the situation a bit . a 3 blade 2.2m maybe ...

i,m not sure i,d like to push more than 500w out of the alt , theres plenty of posts on the net of burned out coils on alts slightly on the edge . i,m not positive about that but you dont want to push for the high figures ...more consistant lower power levels would be easier on the alt and let it furl out early

the ebay blades ...a 2.6 m prop then , now seeing the alt i think their to big and if there good quality and run as fast as they should they might burn out the alt. plus......... there fibre glass and might ( probabely will ) be pretty heavy , possiblely 3 times heavier that a basic carved cedar wood prop of the same size , thats going to be hard on the linear bearings in the alt ...not good......and your going to have to customize the hub mount to suit the alt .....

your really in ideal terrority for carving a 2.2m 3 blade prop from something like cedar or any reasonably clear wood , if it doesent work out its really only cost you your time and its nice to see your own work up there.....

from the very little experiance i have and reading others posts about matching the prop to the load its a very tricky business getting it right first time  ( i never could ) especially of ebay .....i bought 3 sets online and none of them worked out ...almost.......but not ....its hard to tell with the ebay postings what quality you actually get.

i,m still wondering about some short 6mm plate extensions for the prop blades at the hub ...its not ideal but a cheap experiment , hacksaw and drill terrority .....if it doesent work thats ok   

when the prop goes in to stall what power is the alt roughly putting out Turbomiles ? .....your mast looks pretty high

sorry not really much help   ???

ps....if you are tempted to make a wood prop heres a link to a nice 2.3m design http://www.scoraigwind.com/selfblade/index.htm
its a powerfull prop so furling would need to be adjusted

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version