Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Wind and Hydro

mini vawt axial flux

(1/3) > >>

niall:
this is something that i need to add  ( i wasnt planning on it )  as part of a training course i,m on  . the course involves 3D printing so i thought that a mini vawt vane structure might  be ok for the printer , so far so good.... ish  , something like Ed lenzs coffey can vawt might be fun or a small helix

( that would be a bridge to far to draw though )

problem is it has also to be a functional thing in the end so i need to add a really tiny cogless running alt to it , if it could put .5/1 watt in to 2 nicads that would be fine , it would justify its existance

i was looking around for bits and leftovers that could be cobbled together for an axial this small and pulled this apart

theres 2 platters  ( adjustable air gap maybe ) some nice bearings and one coil ready to slot in ,  i,ve got 8/9 small neos ready for the cause

if the the vane ever gets printed ( big if on that one ) it could be mounted straight on to it , spin it and it lights a few leds

what i,m wondering is ....would just one coil be pratical ? ....i,m guessing maybe 200 turns of fine wire ...or is that way to low ?

the size of the vane would be about 30cm by 10 and slow ...tiny really 

its never going to run in anger .....just a model really...any advise is appreciated  :)

bj:
  Niall  sounds like fun.  What just went through my head was that the hard drive disks are driven with
a motor capable of fairly high rpm.  How about using that?  They actually draw a bit of power to spin the disks,
so maybe usable as a generator?
  Nice thing is the bearings are very low friction.
  Just some early morning thoughts.
  Good luck with it.

niall:
hi Bj

i know very little about them but it is a fun thing to play with plus you get a few free neos , its very precise and low friction like you say.  now i,ve experimented with it a bit it seems it doesent  much care for having neos ( even a few ) mounted on the platters .... probably me  ...thick fingers ...and a lack of patience .....that bit i know wont improve

the platters are strong (especially the older drives) but they will deform a bit and dont provide a flux linkage for the neos ( i had hoped they would ) 

plus the neos underneath tend to add eddy currents in the aluminium body , its a bit of a head scratcher ....everythings so small ...it would make a nice little project though ...i,ve pulled 6 of them apart so far  :) ......free neos to clunk around  >:(

i was talking to a friend about options and he offered ( on loan ) Hugh Piggotts smallest axial design to play with , i havent seen this one but i "think" its got just four coils in the stator and his standard mags to suit , it is three phase and trailer hub mounted ....i should have it next week and i,ll post some pics

i see what you mean about the platter motor , its definately multi phase and will generate , the vawt rpm is the spanner in the works ....i never had a drag vawt as i wouldnt know how to get anything out of it

i do like the coffey can one though ....i made one out of a little plastic grease tub years ago , put it on a pole and watched it ...nada....it went a bit left ....then a bit right .....next time i looked up 2 days later it was purring happily away......

a spinning grease tub with no angle of attack .....impossible not to like  :)

bj:
   Was just sitting here trying to think of a low friction rpm increaser.  No brilliant ideas yet.
   Neo's are great fun.  I have a large collection because I never throw one away.  There is even
a small disk neo in an optical drive.  (applies clamping force on the disk)
   The Piggott machine sounds interesting.

niall:
hi Bj

still thinking about this so i decided to try the brute option ......still waiting to pick up the small Piggott alt

i had some old wedge neos out of an old alt and stator and pulled them out ....rubbing a coil over them lights an led , so potential there

i tried putting a second metal disk over them to return the flux more efficentially but nearly trapped a finger .......with mags on the opposing disc it should make a low rpm disk ...a brute

the mags are a little rough at this stage but still insane .......insanity will help with this project

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version