Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Solar (heating or electric)

Solar terminology glossary

(1/2) > >>

ndiakon:
This topic is for those who are on an entry level knowledge in solar energy (like me). I've been browsing through this forum and I came across some words, terms, and abbreviations that I didn't understand, for example "ampacity", "MPPT Charge Controllers", Isc, V(oc), V(mp) and so on. So, I would like to start this topic where newcomers can ask questions about terms and abbreviations they are not familiar with.

For example,

MPPT stands for Maximum Power Point Tracking Charge Controller which is a device that regulates the amount of current the PV modules feed into a battery bank. Their main functions are: 1) to prevent overcharging of the batteries,  2) to block battery bank current from leaking back into the photovoltaic array at night or on cloudy days, draining the battery bank.

rossw:

--- Quote from: ndiakon on December 26, 2015, 07:37:49 pm ---MPPT stands for Maximum Power Point Tracking Charge Controller
--- End quote ---

In the interests of making this a useful and ACCURATE reference, I need to correct your response.

MPPT does indeed stand for "Maximum Power Point Tracking" but is a technique to achieve the maximum transfer of power, and has nothing to do with charge controllers as such. The fact that many (but certainly not all) charge controllers use MPPT points more towards the benefits of MPPT and it's applicability as a technique, to eek the most out of a given solar array.

A Charge Controller
--- Quote ---is a device that regulates the amount of current the PV modules feed into a battery bank. Their main functions are: 1) to prevent overcharging of the batteries, 2) to block battery bank current from leaking back into the photovoltaic array at night or on cloudy days, draining the battery bank.
--- End quote ---
2) to attempt to keep the batteries healthy by charging them properly, within the set parameters, as quickly as possible and as fully as possible.

Wolvenar:
Additionally rectifying diodes block discharge.
These may or may not be in a charge controller  MPPT or otherwise with the purpose of preventing discharge. 
Most however do by design.

WooferHound:
Gosh I thought we made a glossary of renewable energy terms back when this forum was started

Wolvenar:
Woofer:
 I know we did on JAM's reresources.com .. But that seemed to have a short life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version