Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Automation, Controls, Inverters, MPPT, etc

Powerjack 8000W LF Inverter Question

<< < (8/9) > >>

roadhse2@yahoo.com:
Thank you...

That clarifies it for me and I appreciate you going over it again.

Glen

solarnewbee:
Oz

I recently had my daughter wire in a receptacle to the grid and plugged in the ac input (bottom left corner flip up cover) she observed the wattage output went to zero. My goal was to keep the batteries charged on days when there is little sun ie typhoon season etc. the PJ has an internal charger and the batteries were showing 28+v at the 2 charge controllers. The PJ internal charge controller has since in the last few months gone to showing 0v but it’s not integral to the control board. I’ve never used it because it has a 36v pv input limit and I’m at 108v+ pv.

I do realize Its been awhile since you’ve messed about with a PJ but maybe something may click. Possibly it’s just their ups function and useless as a grid tie charger etc using that plug which I believe is the same as the ac input terminals. I would just tie straight to the grid if I was there full time to repair when it let out the magic smoke so an ABT is the best I can do at this point.

Adios Everbody!

Pete:
Hi Solar, I have a 5000 watt ( very optimistically rated) PJ.
Mine states on the front that it is only possible to use one of the inputs for 240 volt.
Mine has an IEC socket and also a terminal strip marked for inputs.

Mine works as a battery charger when I plug the input into my generator.
The sensing circuitry is not so accurate on the PJs. So maybe your PJ is thinking that
the batteries need charging and is in charger mode.
On mine in charger mode it has a bypass relay that clicks in that supplies power to the
house loads.
I don't think that they can be a charger and a grid exporter at the same time though.
I would suggest that you only turn the charger part on when it is needed.
Sorry can't offer more than that
Pete

solarnewbee:
Hi Pete

Yeah my daughter heard the click. I know these were sold as ups also so I suppose if I had plugged it in and had the inverter output tied straight to the grid things might be different but I just remembered reading in Oz’s thread “guess who just bought” some folks having mosfets blowing up in grid ties so I just went with a mains switch I got off eBay. Inverter is tied in as mains and grid is tied in as gen so when inverter dies it dumps to grid. I’m sending out a 48v 15kw and 2 Midnite Classic 150’s to switch out, which just frightens the daughter half to death. She’s managed to repair other stuff just fine so I got faith. Today she swapped out a burned din rail 80a breaker for the front set of pv. I guess I didn’t tighten good last year and it was getting hot. 60 amps at 120vdc will do that. First time she ever had wire strippers in her hands, not bad, put my boys to shame. If they break the lock down she can get some canned air and go to town on the dust. I left the fan running since January last year. Guess I better send a new fan 😳. Was it you drew that mud map for a dump load for my windmill? That’s getting shipped this year too. Different prop tho, don’t think 111 blades is any good , 87” 3 blade might do it.

Take care!

Pete:
Hi Solar yep it was me that drew the Delta diagram for you windmill.
Make sure that all the circuit breaker connections are very tight. It makes a mess when there are high resistance joints at high current joints.
120 volts and 60 amps is fairly hefty. I hope you are using DC rated breakers at that voltage?
Cheers
Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version