Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Automation, Controls, Inverters, MPPT, etc

Battery voltage sensor placement TrisStar 45 MPPT

<< < (2/5) > >>

ghurd:
I have not used a lot of Blue Sky stuff.
They are not temp compensated.

Might have to set the TS45 to a slightly higher voltage.

Probably be a very good idea to keep the Blue Sky power wires, and TS45 power wires, completely separate, except for at the battery terminals.
G-

Rover:
Hy G,

I'm just getting used to it , I two arrays spread from each other, one is the "early" array 330 W plugged into the blue sky, the other is a "later  array"  200W going in to the TS 45. (early / later refer to part of the day when the arrays get sun, these are fixed).

Looking at my curves it makes sense now, after reviewing the absorption points, for the blue sky its  14.2 for the ts 45 I have it set at 14.6 (preset #5) . Temp has been low as well, so when the sun starts to hit the 2nd array the TS starts pushing the voltage up and the blue sky basically starts to shut down. All of this is expected, the temp compensation on the TS does really work as it will go to ~ 15V in 40-45F.

Its unusual for me as my Bz used to control the 2nd array , and had a lower set point than the Blue Sky .. so the blue Sky array would win out.

(For anyone else, the blue sky and the BZ have factory set absorption set points, the TS does not , but without reprogramming you have to choose one of the presets)

In any case the bank has been at 90% SOC before charging so the effect of getting into absorption is pretty quick (hour or so) . When I start using the bank more and the daily SOC falls, this will all be less of an issue

Other words, no real concerns.

Rover...

ChrisOlson:
Rover,

Does your TS MPPT seem to be getting your panels to all they can put out?  I got a TS MPPT 60 on my Sharp 123's wired for 109.0 Voc and it rarely reaches full rated power of the panels even on a good day.  And it's been terrible on cloudy days.

I got two TS's - a 45 on my Schott array and a 60 on my Sharp array.  There has been days when I've been able to see the orb of the sun thru the overcast, when I figure I should be getting at least 30% from the panels, and they barely make 20%.  I'm pretty sure I used to get more from the Sharp 123's when I had them direct-hooked on 12 volt.  There was many days in the winter when the sun would peek out for a bit and I would see them hit 80 amps @ 14.5 volts.  With the TriStar controller on them (now 24 volt) I've seen 38 amps only a couple times.

So I dunno, but I can't really say I've been exceedingly happy with their performance. 
--
Chris

rossw:

--- Quote from: ChrisOlson on January 26, 2012, 02:51:15 pm ---There has been days when I've been able to see the orb of the sun thru the overcast, when I figure I should be getting at least 30% from the panels, and they barely make 20%.

--- End quote ---

The eye is a truly terrible estimator of light intensity.
A cheap lightmeter is a help, but a pyranometer is the proper instrument for the job.

Ever since I installed mine, I've been *far* better equipped to compare output achieved with what I'd "expect".
It's surprising how much difference a high-humidity day, or day with moderate amount of smoke for example, makes to solar output.

Rover:
Chris,

All I can really say is that it does better than BX MPPT did. Although this is all relative and I only have 2 100's on the ST 45 MPPT right now, (that will increase 2 4 shortly) and the panels are wired parallel.

Ask me in a month or so, after I get a few more panels on line and change to a series parallel configuration.

Rover

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version