Renewable Energy Questions/Discussion > Automation, Controls, Inverters, MPPT, etc

High Voltage DC Charger (OUCH) 🤔

<< < (2/2)

rossw:

--- Quote from: noneyabussiness on February 12, 2020, 02:54:43 pm ---Don't quote me,  but im sure the states has " neutral " bonded to earth and L1 (110v) and L2 (110v) , sort of like our 3 phase..

--- End quote ---

They have basically a "centre-tapped 220V", with the centre tap being grounded (mostly, sorta-kinda, sometimes).
From the "neutral" as you put it, to either L1 or L2 thus gives you 110V (but opposite phases).
From L1 to L2 gives you 220V

It doesn't give you a nice way to drive 3phase motors. It pretty much gives you the "worst of all possible options" IMHO!

solarnewbee:
Hey Ross,

Pretty much. The xfmr on the pole is just like you said center tapped. 13,250v down to 220v L1 N L2. It would run 3 phase because the motor would just sit and heat up without a, phase shift?, I think so they install 3 phase pole transformers that tap 3 phases from the top line plus neutral and in some places they have a high leg which is like yours but 208v commercial rate to neutral. I found out about high legs the hard way and ran a new receptacle in a restaurant for a 120v cooler, spun the blades right off the evap motors, in pieces. Compressor protected itself, that’s how I noticed something was up. That’s when the inspector behind me says you forgot about the high leg didn’t you. Yep, like I knew 🙄.

Motor start cap huh? Interesting. I remember a discussion on here about 120v and a row of caps and HV charging fla batteries and the fallout thereof. I also remember my brain running away from that idea.

How about a Variac? Turn up the power a little at a time. As long as the Midnite controller doesn’t record a voltage over 150v they will replace for free. Ha!

Too much time on my hands I guess.

Thanks

Cheerios!

solarnewbee:

Short Answer,

Some whom may have predicted this scenario is a NOPE! I did set up a 150r x 1kr divider for 144v. The Midnite immediately pulled it down to 59v and 1.9 amps. The 150r 100w got hot as hell even with heat sink and fan and was wanting to let out the smoke. I guess most of the current is lost as heat.

Experiment done.

I never could bring myself to remove the 470mfd cap and plug it straight thru the controller.

Adios Muchachos!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version