Off Grid Living / Camping > Off Grid Living / Alternative Housing

MOVED - Satellite Dish Wifi

<< < (2/5) > >>

Seth7:
Iv thought of doing that in the past ....

the one question i had was this ....

should the light be focused on the feed point ( almost none on the square ears)

or just touching the ends of the bi-quad ....

MadScientist267:
 Wondered the same thing myself... The focal point of the dish is obviously important, and what I have in the pics above gave me the best results with as far as I was willing to take it that night, but that antenna (a dipole) is WAY closer to the dish than the LNB was. I know very little about antennas, and look forward to building one that can really reach out and hit a nice distance, but its slow going because there's so many variables and I only understand concepts.

The biquad keeps coming up as the answer and looks simple enough to build, and is apparently forgiving somewhat to construction imperfections, but the answers to questions like focal points and the like are hit and miss to locate.

I've also been told that the dipole/dish combination isn't anywhere near ideal because of the radiation pattern a dipole exhibits, which likely explains the obnoxiously close proximity to the dish with what I've done above.

There's a lot of room for improvement here, so any and all information that anyone either knows the location of or has in the form of personal experience is greatly appreciated.

All of the specs for the dish(es) are available if that helps. I'd also like to try the so-called "dual biquad", as there are 2 radios in this router (WRT54GS running DDWRT).

Steve

WooferHound:
This seemed really helpful . . .
http://www.ds3wireless.com/aiming.htm

hiker1:
heres a few links...https://www.google.com/search?q=homemade+wifi+dish+antenna&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Seth7:
Wolf's link is about pointing the dish its self ...

and the google search is not definitive ...

the bi-quad has a fairly wide radiation pattern ... that your trying to couple to the dish ....

Finding the best distance from the dish to couple the most signal for the Bi-Quad is a missing factor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version