Off Grid Living / Camping > Off Grid Living / Alternative Housing

MOVED - Satellite Dish Wifi

<< < (4/5) > >>

Seth7:
wish there was a chaparalle type feed horn for 2.4Ghz that was DIY ....

rossw:

--- Quote from: MadScientist267 on June 22, 2013, 10:16:45 pm ---Ok so just as I'm seeing with the dipole, the biquad is going to have yet a different ideal focal length than the dipole and original LNB?

--- End quote ---

Almost certainly. A dipole has a very wide angle of radiation and will need to be "quite" close to the dish. However, that will also mess with its characteristic impedance and you may not get a good match the the xmitter/receiver if its too far out.

I can't remember the polar radiation pattern from a biquad, but it's going to be somewhat better than a dipole in this purpose, and will want to be further away from the dish surface.

tomw:

--- Quote from: MadScientist267 on June 22, 2013, 10:16:45 pm --- Ah ok posts clashed Ross....

Ok so just as I'm seeing with the dipole, the biquad is going to have yet a different ideal focal length than the dipole and original LNB?

Steve

--- End quote ---

My vote is "yes".

Probably closer so the "sweet spot" covers the element?

All my RF experience is from the old days before they had such high frequencies in common use.

So I could be all wet.

Tom (who learned electrickery on valves not transistors!

Seth7:
Any one know if a Ku band feed horn would workout ?

rossw:

--- Quote from: Seth7 on June 24, 2013, 09:24:06 pm ---Any one know if a Ku band feed horn would workout ?

--- End quote ---

It's completely the wrong frequency for any WiFi.
Ku is 12-18GHz, most WIFI is either 2.4 or 5.8GHz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version