Off Grid Living / Camping > Off Grid Living / Alternative Housing

MOVED - Satellite Dish Wifi

(1/5) > >>

MadScientist267:
 Just a couple pics I took recently as my quest for internet connectivity continues....

This *obviously* won't work on a permanent level, but I'm able to drill through houses and get the access point I'm after now with less and less effort....

From the "target side".

The gap between the dish and the antenna

A shot showing the goofy "mounting" position its in. It's designed to be mounted so it's taller than wider, so I had to do some odd tricks to stabilize it. If you look closely at the first pic, you'll see the word "Sony" is laying sideways.

It's not perfect, but gets about 3x better signal than the last wifi attempts, so we're making progress. Other antenna designs are being looked into that aren't so (ahem) obnoxious LOL

Steve

hiker1:
cool....ile half to try that !  seems like every where you go in this town theirs wireless !!
new toweres going up every day !   i pay 20 bucks a month for 3mbs --works for me..but you really cant watch any movies--eats it up fast !..   might dig out my old D-LINK.. [usb-flash card]..  and hook that up to a extender cord...then focus the dish on that.............

frackers:
I've used a biquad antenna to good effect without the sat dish. Here is an article describing both!!

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/

Seth7:
I wish there were some tests for various mounting positions .... or even the authors of these Bi-Quad on Sat Dish list the distance from the body of the bracket to the back of the Bi-Quad

It would help with getting an optimal focal position -- i would think ....

I have some 4' internet satellite dish reflectors that id like to use !!!!

even a 12' C-Band dish might be fun ....

frackers:
The article I referenced assumes you use the original LNB mounting which of course will be at the focus.

If you have lost that then you will be into guesswork although a trick I have used in the past is to wet the dish and see how the sun reflects off the wet surface onto a piece of card to find the correct plane (when the suns image is round and not oval) and at its smallest which will be the focus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version