Off Grid Living / Camping > Weapons/Hunting

Will stone age work ?

(1/4) > >>

Grit:
No one has posted as yet , so might as well get started. My prefrence of weapons are from another time. I am a flintknapper , a rock a hollick, I do bows and arrows , atlatl n darts, snares etc.   here Im making my wife a spear>> walking stick
                  I have more but will post if succesful.  Any one else doing primative stuff??    Grit

Click on Pix     Tks

tomw:
As far as old technology, I do have an old replica cap n ball revolver Colt knockoff but that is TEOTWAWKI stuff. If I have to kill something I don't want to have to get in too close. I know I could fabricate black powder, remanufacture caps and make lead balls. But only after my reloading supplies on hand get consumed for the modern weapons.

I used to hunt those old arrowheads and stuff but haven't for years. Found some sweet sites with tons of chips and a few nice points but this area has been picked over for decades on all the likely high points above the river where they seem to have hung out making tools while watching for the migrating herds. Curiously, they must have travelled far and wide because the stone used for the tools is not local. Bringing in stones from far away for barter must have been somewhat tough in that hostile environment.

It is clearly an art form and great way to make necessary tools from the environment. I recall obsidian can be flaked off with as sharp an edge as a scalpel.

Hard core survival skills in a place where "roughing it" seems to be eating from cans or a freezer and cooking over charcoal briquettes. :(

I, for one am interested in the lost skills of humanity. Most folks don't realise that even the paleolithic humans had as much intelligence as we do and only lacked the accumulated knowledge of modern humans.

Tom

Grit:
Yes I find it amazing at some of the things the primative people s were capable of doing with what they used.  Some day they will be calling us primative peoples, .     Grit

birdhouse:
i was literally digging with a stick yesterday!  and it worked!  better than getting my hands dirty!

adam

frackers:

--- Quote from: Grit on April 28, 2012, 01:02:36 pm --- I have more but will post if succesful.  Any one else doing primative stuff??    Grit

--- End quote ---
Not done any knapping myself but being a fan of the UK TV program Time Team, I know a percussive bulge from a re-flaked edge thanks to the archaeologist Phil Harding who is something of an expert in these things :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version