Off Grid Living / Camping > Off Grid Living / Alternative Housing

100% RE built deck.

(1/4) > >>

birdhouse:
hello all-
just wanted to share this deck i built last weekend.  it's about 300 sq foot, and i NEVER started a genset for the whole thing.  the battery bank/solar/wind was more than enough to keep the prosine 1800 more than happy.  we were even dumping excess juice throughout both nights even with cordless batteries charging, lights on, and stereo ripping.  the highest i saw was 500 watts being dumped from the turbine after work hours. 

the roof before the deck was built:

the deck framing:

the finished deck:

and a random youtube of my place before the deck was done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SurSHmGHEL8

hope you all enjoy!

adam

Watt:
Sweet, when does the dancing begin? 

8)

Wolvenar:
Nice work.. now, can ya build one of those sweet setups including the fire pit and hood at our place.. :)

bj:
   And enjoy I did Adam.  Very nice.

birdhouse:
thanks guys!

sadly the deck was built for the outdoor kitchen (no more hotdogs rolling off the grill) and not dancing. 

sure wolv, i'll build you an identical structure.  they ain't cheap though...   ;)  the framing alone (pond board from the mill) weighed in at almost 5000 lbs.  24 foot long 2x12's aren't light!  it is awful nice to have 700 sq ft of covered WARM space when it starts raining, and not have to go indoors!

forgot to mention, this was built with basically 390w of solar.  the wind turbine wassn't really helping until almost evening, and we were wrapping things up by then anyways.  the solar easily competed with 13 hour days running a pancake air compressor with framing nailer, circ saw, chop saw, ect.  i thought for sure i'd have to fire up my little generac with the chinese charger to keep the bank up, but it wasn't an issue. 

if the wind turbine hadn't kicked in during the evenings, i probably would have fired up the genset for evening comforts.

next project is to build a mini deck ON TOP of the roof.  no, i'm not kidding...

adam

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version