Off Grid Living / Camping > Off Grid Living / Alternative Housing

Induction Cooktop

(1/8) > >>

ChrisOlson:
We got a new Electrolux induction range from Sweden.  My wife bought it when we were in Sweden for Christmas but it just got here this last Monday.  It cost us a little over $4,000 for it by the time we got it to the US, but my wife absolutely loves it.

Compared to gas cooking, which is only about 40% efficient (and my wife refuses to have a gas appliance in the house anyway), the induction cooking is about 90% energy efficient.  It uses just a little over 1/2 the power to cook the same thing that our old electric range with conventional surface units used to use.

I haven't even figured out how to run the thing yet.  Only my wife knows how to program it to cook food.  The control panel on it disappears until you put your hand by it and then it lights up and looks like the helm on the Starship Enterprise.  The way I understand it, it's kinda' like layin' in a course for the Delta Quadrant to cook eggs on it.  My wife's hand moves swiftly over the controls and she's pushing all these "buttons" that aren't even buttons, then she throws a pan on it and it works!

It doesn't matter what size pan or pot you put on it because it's got some sort of deal in it that adjusts the magnetic field to the exact size of the pan to save on power.  And when you take the pan off the "burner" it shuts off.

Maybe one of these days I'll figure out how to run it.  First I'm going to go out to the shop and build me a cast iron java cup.  If I had a cast iron cup that thing will heat up a cup of java faster than the microwave.
--
Chris

oztules:
Well there you go... eddy currents have their uses too ;D

..............oztules

WooferHound:
You can get those in America too

ChrisOlson:

--- Quote from: WooferHound on February 10, 2012, 07:22:17 am ---You can get those in America too

--- End quote ---

Not when you're married to a Swedish woman, you can't.   :)
--
Chris

ChrisOlson:

--- Quote from: oztules on February 10, 2012, 05:08:11 am ---Well there you go... eddy currents have their uses too ;D

--- End quote ---

Oz - that just gave me an idea.  When I build my new cast iron java cup I'm going to write "Eddy" on the outside of it with the welder    ;D
--
Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version