Off Grid Living / Camping > Survival Skills

Civilian Combat Statistics...

<< < (2/5) > >>

luv2weld:
Somewhere in the past I remember reading that most gunfights were at 21 feet or less. Might have been something published
by the NRA. I practice up to 50 yards. If you can hit it at 50 yards (meters) anything under that is guaranteed (unless you
are shaking so bad from the shot of adrenalin you're going to get in that stress situation!!!).
Without getting out of bed, I can reach a 9mm semi, a 357 Herrett Contender, an M-14 and a mini-14.
Does that make me paranoid???
Or just a noid???? You can bet that if I ever have to use them in the middle of the night, I will be annoyed!!!

Ralph

wilfor03:
Being retarted Army, I too have NO patience for anyone who enters my home, UN-invited, day or night!!  >:(

But, being the friendly fella I am, I will show them my private arseal of "get the hell outa here(s) !"  :P

ghurd:

--- Quote from: luv2weld on January 29, 2012, 11:06:03 am ---Somewhere in the past I remember reading that most gunfights were at 21 feet or less. Might have been something published by the NRA.
Ralph

--- End quote ---

Hey Ralph,
T/C Contender is about the last thing I would have expected anyone to mention in this thread!

21' is what the PDs around here use(d) to 'qualify', at big giant man sized targets.
And not that many get a great score, which is something to think about.

I heard of a bow club shooting longer distances vs the local PD guys up close, at targets, and the archers won by a landslide.
Then add in the 10~20~30 minutes of response time, and a 9mm sounds barely adaquite.
With a dozen seconds to work with, and a few more than a dozen feet, not a whole lot an M-14 won't deal with.

.308 is Not something I like to shoot in the house... very often.
 :o
G-

luv2weld:
I really like my Contenders. Got a .221 beside my computer, too.
For those not familiar with it, the .357 Herrett is a .357 bullet stuffed into a 30-30 casing!!!
If an intruder can get past that, shame on me. 
I can believe the PD can't hit the side of a barn from the inside!!!!
Remember that cops don't carry guns to protect you. They carry them to protect themselves. And most of
them think they can handle anything without drawing their weapon. So they don't practice. Don't need to!!!!

--- Quote ---.308 is Not something I like to shoot in the house
--- End quote ---
I know if I ever do, I won't be able to hear for a week. But, Hey, that might not be a bad thing!!! Won't be able to
hear them "Honey Do's", or any nagging!!!! Add that to the fact that you get to nominate some fool for the Darwin Awards,
sounds like a "Win, Win" to me.

Ralph

tomw:
Funny how folks can have such similar hobbies, interests and pastimes!

Most of us that posted in this thread have some very similar interests and experiences.

I knew what a .357 Herrit was because I actually had one some years ago. Same with the Contenders.

In a home defence situation I would much prefer a 12 guage stuffed with #4's. Deadly insaide a room but rendered faitly impotent after passing through a home wall so less chance of collateral damage to the innocent. This is important for me because, while I am completely willing to jam my pistol in an assailants ear and squeeze off a round, I never want to even nick an innocent while doing so!

I never had a civilian combat encounter but had a full ration of the military version in that SE Asian "Police Action" back 40 years ago or so.  The full on violence is astounding and stupefying. Hopefully that training and experience will kick in should the civilian version intrude on my peaceful existence. The decision to use deadly force to protect myself was made then and should pose no ethical barrier to doing what needs done.

Anyway, I guess a few of you are vets, too since this country seems to have had wars in every generation.  Just another possible bit of common ground.

Just my Monday ramble..

A well armed militia....

Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version