Project Journals > Oztules

guess who bought a power jack inverter

<< < (2/112) > >>

brucedownunder:
Oztules,   good post mate, as usual ..

How do you think some 16mm cable would go for that inductor ?.  I've plenty and it's rated at 90c .

Thanks for the posts.

bruce

oztules:
It comes down to the expected duty cycle and current.

In my case, I expect massive surges, but low duty cycle, so the wire I used in this case was 10mm diameter core ( not cross section ) or about 78mm sq... but this was 24v, so would see 200A - 300A plus currents for very short periods ... and 150 amps for longer periods... maybe 10 mins max, then back to around 10-30 amps most of the time.... average of  500 watts or 12kwh/day for my setup.

So use as big as you can get into the space you have. If you can get two in hand then better. The 16sq mm is a bit light for my taste, but two in hand would get close to what I would care for at 48v.... it's only a few turns I guess.

If you mean 16mm diameter, then if you can get it in and bent... you will have done extremely well..... 10mm diameter core was a stretch for my bending ability.

................oztules

dang:
ahh - I see 'power stat' is the brand of the first unit you'd upgraded, I went looking at it as if it were a homegrown toroidal transformer 'feedback loop' logic design you'd proofed and installed (whew!) ... I'm reading you've added a (third?) toroid to swap an E-core out that avoids core losses, and after reading ALL the ebay auction text for 'LF inverters' am seeing that is why some vendors advertise upgrading to their 10,000w model that has all toroids?

Understood about idle losses tracking across usage, still was curious once the bulk-of-system and wiring was injected...

Those LF inverters have a 20-30% price premium on our US auction site over what the AU site offerings have (had) which kind of ventures into honest pain area price instead of bearable... I'm still interested in a 24V unit soonish so when the times comes..

Thanks again

oztules:
Yes the power star was the test bed for making changes to a cheap pure sine inverter that has proved to be very tough in the field.

It had very sad power drag, so that was fixed.

The power jack shares the same mother board and power board. They finally realised the HF units they made were rubbish.... and used the same boards and better transformers and case and in fact seem to have a very good little unit.... but again, expensive on the power draw at idle.

The ecore seems to solve this, or at least mitigates it to a large degree, and allows grid tie inverter operation using the power jack as the grid.... it won't do this without the ecore.

As they now sell the power and control boards as a spare parts pack, you can just biy that and provide your own transformers and case and ecore.... and have a very cheap inverter.. as much power as you have transformers.. big welding transformers may be the ticket, as there is 12, 24, 48v controllers, and the price seems to be the same for all and any. A decent welder transformer and ecore would probably keep the idle current to a reasonable level.

who knows what you can get up to.

...............oztules

brucedownunder:

Hi ,

This topic on the conversion of the W7 power-star inverter has come a long way ,recently.  Thanks to Oztules,(John) and a few very informed technical team.

I am converting my W7 , so far hard wiring work ,bending 25mm Sq. hard wiring .

Just letting those interested in the new developements.

Bruce.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version