Author Topic: should have listened to Wolv  (Read 14701 times)

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
should have listened to Wolv
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:00:38 am »
  Because I was offered a really good deal,  I decided to try Microsoft's new O.S.  Wolv wasn't impressed, and
I should have paid heed.  It might be fine for a touch type application, where you never have to alter/play with
it, but from a tinker's point of view, not good.
  So, back to 7.
  Should have listened Wolv.  Won't make that mistake again. ;)
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
Re: should have listened to Wolv
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:54:09 am »
Fix the misery of lost start menu/orb at least.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline Cornelius

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 12:38:59 am »
Strange...
I like the new win8 interface... :o

I've been a computer tech. for over 25 years with several MSCP's, and i know how to dive into the innards of windows to get it just the way i like, but i don't feel the need to do that with win8... :P
Even with a mouse, i feel the interface are better to use than the classic desktop.

If i now just could afford a 32"flat monitor with touch that i could embed down in my desk... 8)

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:31:49 am »
The wife and I have played with win 8 on such a touch screen monitor.
It actually makes it work somewhat reasonable, with the exception that this screen is somewhat dynamic and often changed the positioning of things every other time you return to it.

Well I thought it was ok until I got their pathetic replacement for the BSOD (at Best Buy)
The stability issues I have seen so much is the major problem I have.
I was just trying to connect to wifi when I got their new error screen.
My sis in law just bought a laptop with win8 and she has had nothing but troubles with the college software on it.

Look for my previous post about it to see just a few examples.

BTW,  I also have been doing this for decades, and have such M$ certs.
But in my experience in getting those certs all I found they are good for is making a big impression on some clueless HR person that's hiring, or similar.
When all they do is try to beat the idea that the right answer can ONLY be the M$ centric one, while in reality the multiple choice they offer has many valid answers.

It's seems to me to be plain and simple attempts to brainwash you into thinking they are the only solution and are great etc etc.

Yeah, the tablet interface may be nice for a touch interface, but to totally remove the start/orb/menu is an asinine move for all the desktop users. This will also create a problem for businesses who will have productivity drops in the hampered for desktop interface. Early corporate adopters will suffer with training /learning time of employees, or tech support adding in the above classic start menu or similar. These will potentially cost companies millions-to tens of millions depending on the size of company.

Let alone this feels like an unbelievable repeat of Windows ME/Vista instability, bugs and exploits.

Offline Cornelius

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 11:49:47 am »
I wouldn't even begin thinking of replying to that post... ::)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:55:20 pm »
Microshaft OS releases remind me of a kid learning how to ride a bike...

Getting overly excited when they get it halfway right, but when it comes to shift to the other leg to keep the momentum going, they slam on the brakes, spin out, go flying over the handlebars, and lose all headway they gained by doing it right with the other foot.

Meanwhile, Apple, Linux, and BSD are flying by on crotch rockets.

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:06 am »
You are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 web browser. YouTube is ending support for Internet Explorer 7 soon, update your browser now
Oh Man....why do they do this....I'm just hobbling on 7 as it is.....tried to get to
8 but I needed one update failed like out of 10.....retry......yeah retry.....retry....retry...
get daughter to help no luck for her either .....retry .....retry.....retry  oh BS !

wonder how soon soon is? and will I even know it or need it from what I use things on
this computer? :o
poor ol Norm. ;D

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:40:16 am »
You are using Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 web browser. YouTube is ending support for Internet Explorer 7 soon, update your browser now
Oh Man....why do they do this....I'm just hobbling on 7 as it is.....tried to get to
8 but I needed one update failed like out of 10.....retry......yeah retry.....retry....retry...
get daughter to help no luck for her either .....retry .....retry.....retry  oh BS !

wonder how soon soon is? and will I even know it or need it from what I use things on
this computer? :o
poor ol Norm. ;D

Norm;

That is why they made Firefox.

Have your daughter install that for you. You can probably use it as your default browser and should install easy?

Or just switch to Ubuntu or something that just works without constant need for broken updates unless you absolutely need Winderz.

I refuse to use M$ period. Youtube works fine with Firefox. Ubuntu works well for most common needs if you don't need to share files, etc from work or something. You can actually install it alongside Winderz and use either as needed.

Just an idea.

Just remembered I promised to send you some stuff. Got a shoulder rotator cuff injury that has been kicking my butt and everything involving physical activity like digging through my sheds is on hold for awhile here.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 04:46:40 pm »
   Like Tom said Norm----on everything actually, but Firefox in particular.  Haven't used IE on windows machines in
probably 6 years.  Takes a few minutes, depending on connection speed, but that's about all.  Been rock solid
dependable for me.
   Best of luck whatever you decide.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:22:25 am »
Firefox has auto updating these days right?

If not if your not terribly worried that Google Chrome's reporting to Google what you do.. 
It always "just works" as well, and transparently updates itself which has adobe flash built in and almost always up to date.

Chrome by default tries to do everything in its power to route your browsing through Google as a search before it continues to the actual URL. This has the effect of tracking your browsing, but adds a lot of simplicity.

All and all its your call, but I would most certainly dump IE if at all possible.

Offline Norm

• Today is the day you worried about yesterday.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 11:01:03 pm »
Nah I can't dump IE, not possible with me.....mostly I play DX Ball....
look up how stuff works ....go to You Tube and look up songs like
Merle Haggart....She's a Good Hearted Woman ......Animals-The House of the Rising Sun
Eagles-You Can't Hide Your Lying Eyes,
So as long as their ending support for Windows 7 doesn't mean that I
can't access stuff like this ....Let'm end support for Windows 7 I don't care !

Ok Tom I heard you ....rotator cup eh?
My brother-in- law had that,  operation on it...Unemployment Comp.
harassed him about going back to work...so went back to work too soon then....reoperated
back to work....reoperated etc. ....so finally he put in for disability...
....so frustrated....with diabetes and all ....he let his diabetes get out of control
and he died on a Monday ....so he didn't get his mail with his first disability
check....59 yrs old.....so even with my well mild case of diabetes, my one knee that keeps
getting worse....I figure I'm still in the game....LOL

Norm.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 05:56:56 pm »
If IE can do it, any other browser can do it, and likely better. with exception on OLD or sites that run IE specific things, which are quite a small % anymore.
Web site designers have gotten sick of having to build for the general browser, then build it over again for IE, detect your running IE etc.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 11:36:53 pm »
If IE can do it, any other browser can do it, and likely better.

Not too many of them support active-X, and quite a few things kicking about that *require* it.

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 03:24:16 am »
Getting to be fewer of those every day, especially with html5 coming to maturity.

Offline rossw

• Senior Moderator
  • Grumpy-old-Unix-Admin
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 03:31:00 pm »
Getting to be fewer of those every day, especially with html5 coming to maturity.

Oh, sure, but there are still a lot of legacy things out there - webcameras, PVRs, lots of "household" items that used or required active-x to operate. Sure, they will die and be replaced in time - but meantime, the poor saps that have them are locked in to internet exploiter exploder explorer.