Product Information > Product Reviews

Mini Split

<< < (3/7) > >>

lighthunter:
I finally found some comparable information, below is the AHRI label for a slightly better heat pump than the one i have also made by Pioneer, it also costs $1058 whereas mine was $750 and has HSPF4 rating of 9.5. The one below has hspf of 9.8. So if you can find this information it helps compare apples to apples before you make a decision. Unfortunately it appears like those that have the rating cost substantially more and arent necessarily better.

lighthunter:
Update: Hi all!

For solar heat nothing beats a window but for heating with RE electric and temps above 14°F (-10C) air source heat pumps are the way to go.
I can heat a 3 car garage to 50°with 1200w of electricity. By comparison, a 1500w space heater barely effects the garage temperature.
Lessons ive learned, do not mount on a ground pad like many install photos show.  Need outdoor unit off the ground 6" to 24" to prevent leaves and or ice buildup.If you intend to do a fair amount of heating mount on sunny side of your house, it makes a difference during defrost.

Pete:
Thanks for the updates LH. sounds like it is a winner.
I can understand the necessity of a pad mount, we get a lot of leaves built up around here due to wind.
Also it would keep the unit above the coldest parts of the outside of the house.
Good to read your results.
We have a small 800/1200 watt radiator that gets used rarely, but as you point out it really only heats someone who is sitting in front of it.
Cheers
Pete

lighthunter:
Very good point Pete! Air temperature does change with height above ground and if outside unit is mounted on sunny side of home it could benefit from being mounted up a distance above ground for heating and cooling.
 Using the AHRI numbers for the model i have, i made a graph of btu vs outdoor air temperature. Green is heat pump performance, the red is an equivalent watt resistance heater. Hspf 9.5 in this case refers to 9.5 btu/watt in region 4. One bugger about the AHRI numbers is they do not include energy used for defrost cycles which can be significant not to mention the unit is not heating during defrost cycle. Even still if using it around water freeze temps and above, it really works well.
Note AHRI label posted earlier is for a very similar unit that cost $300usd more than this one which is posted below.

Pete:
HI LH, I haven't seen BTU's quoted for a long time. As we only use metric stuff in Oz, BTU's went out a long time ago.
I wonder how British Thermal Units differ from any other countries thermal units. But then they must have got in first with naming rights.
Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version