Author Topic: My New Controller  (Read 22623 times)

Offline Burnit0017

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: My New Controller
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 08:00:11 am »
Hi, nice work, are you using a MPPT algorithm to control the power from the turbine?

Offline frackers

• If it moves - computerise it!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 04:50:08 pm »
Hi, nice work, are you using a MPPT algorithm to control the power from the turbine?

Nope - just using a straight dump load as a shunt regulator. The load is PWM controlled but  I don't fancy trying to wind inductors and building other components to handle 100 amps.

Even designing the MOSFET drivers for a dump load is a challenge - circulating currents, earth currents, flyback voltages, gate charge dumping, staying out of the linear region of the MOSFETs, parasitic  oscillation, snubbers and commutating diodes!! The first load I made was inductive which introduced a whole load of problems - capacitors exploding, MOSFETS catching on fire, two wire stumps where a diode used to be :-\

Maybe one day...

Robin Down Under (or are you Up Over!)

Offline frackers

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 10:51:28 pm »
So what does all the heavy lifting in this controller? Its got to be the Dallas I-wire chip. The DS2438 Smart Battery Monitor. Designed for portable applications with rechargeable batteries, it scales very well to stationary huge installations  ;)

To quote from the spec sheet...

• Unique 1-Wire® interface requires only one port pin for communication
  • Provides unique 64-bit serial number
  • Eliminates thermistors by sensing battery temperature on-chip
  • On-board A/D converter allows monitoring of battery voltage for end-of-charge and end-of-discharge determination
  • On-board integrated current accumulator facilitates fuel gauging
  • Elapsed time meter in binary format
  • 40-byte nonvolatile user memory availablefor storage of battery-specific data
  • Reverts to low-power sleep mode on battery pack disconnect
  • Operating range -40oC to +85oC
  • Applications include portable computers, portable/cellular phones, consumer electronics, and handheld instrumentation

It does a lot more than this - like the current measurement as well as charge accumulation, saving the total life charge in and out. Pretty much the whole interface to the battery bank is through this chip.

The other interfaces are a 1-wire GPIO chip that simulates a push button remote control on the inverter, an interrupt input to the Arduino to measure RPM, a PWM output from the Arduino to control the shunt load and general I/O lines for scanning the push buttons and outputting to the LCD.

Offline frackers

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:40:25 pm »
Well, I've debugged the first version and now built a copy of the original and am happy with the result!!

Here is a story in pictures and text showing the building of that second controller: http://gilks.ath.cx/~g8ecj/Mk3_Turbine/Mk3_controller.html

This should be up to date with Eagle PCB and schematic files, binary and code sources as well as an extensive README file that is based somewhat on this thread ;)

Enjoy...

Offline Wolvenar

• Senior Moderator
  • Mr. Murphys pawn
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 06:04:37 pm »
Impressive as always.
Trying to make power from alternative energy any which way I can.
Just to abuse what I make. (and run this site)

Offline frackers

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 08:26:32 pm »
Having done the write-up , I've at last got round to fixing up the last couple of configuration items to allow a user to set everything without having to re-compile it!! Updated firmware etc on my web site.

The conductance (inverse of resistance) of the current shunt can now be set as can the number of magnet poles in the generator to read RPM. This means that selecting a couple of resistors and fitting a zener diode if going over 30 volts, the controller is good for 12, 24, 36 or 48 volt operation. The SD Card is a real boon for holding the logs which rarely go over 1/4 of a meg per day and the smallest card I can buy now is 4 gigs so 4000 days or call it 10 years!! The live monitoring is still there as well so I can still check out the mill from work!!

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 11:11:39 pm »
Very nice Frackers!
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline niall

• No Personal Text Set by User
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 07:11:47 pm »
great update ....those boards look commercial quality ..... 8)...

mppt ...i wonder if it is really worth it for homemade mills ...if the stator can be wound "matched" relatively close to the load ...is mppt really worth the extra expense ?

Offline shawn

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 01:04:40 am »
As the proud owner of the copy controller I can say it works exactly as Robin says and it seems easy enough to workout even for the electronically challenged  ::)
Its also controlling my pv  ;D

A big thanks Robin

shawn

Offline frackers

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 04:33:26 am »
great update ....those boards look commercial quality ..... 8)...

mppt ...i wonder if it is really worth it for homemade mills ...if the stator can be wound "matched" relatively close to the load ...is mppt really worth the extra expense ?

The boards are made with pre-coated PCB material from a local shop and using the prototyping UV exposure box and etching tanks at work. The 'negative' is laser printed onto 'tracing paper' - can't remember what its called offhand but its translucent rather than transparent but UV goes straight through it!!

I've thought about mppt but getting suitable cores and winding them for the sort of current likely to be flying about from a decent mill is just too much like hard work. Switching supplies, inverters etc are a black art. Thats why the guys (and gals) that can get them to work earn the big bucks!!

Offline frackers

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 04:35:45 am »
As the proud owner of the copy controller I can say it works exactly as Robin says and it seems easy enough to workout even for the electronically challenged  ::)
Its also controlling my pv  ;D

A big thanks Robin

You're very welcome Shawn - you're a very brave to risk some of my nutty ideas ;)

Offline frackers

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 09:26:27 pm »
As a result of a few months testing there are a few minor tweaks to the code. Nothing drastic and the full commit log can be found here https://github.com/g8ecj/turbine/commits/master

The highlights:
  • Selectable US/Euro date format
  • Time adjustment to allow for dodgy Chinese crystall oscillators
  • Reduce noise in the logs by only logging the shunt (dump) load actuating when it goes over 50%
  • Allow the shunt resistance and number of magnetic poles to be configured rather than compile time only
  • Correctly initialise the self discharge timer

Sources from github, hex file will be updated by the time this post is read by anyone :)

Offline MadScientist267

• Impossible Condition Curator
  • Rules? What rules?
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 11:30:18 pm »
I want one!

But... Well... One little problem... where is the RPM sensing for my PV? :P

Very nice project. All jokes aside, got one that's an entire kit, shunts and all that I can twist into a PV only monitor? I would LOVE to have everything right in one spot like that ;)

Steve
Wanted: Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive.

Offline frackers

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 09:58:49 pm »

Very nice project. All jokes aside, got one that's an entire kit, shunts and all that I can twist into a PV only monitor? I would LOVE to have everything right in one spot like that ;)

I'll be adding 500watts of PV to my system shortly so I'll report back on how it handles it.

Offline shawn

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 12:57:15 am »
It handles 2 KW of pv no problem it blew norwest night last night I woke up to allmost floating batteries, I was going to be away all day so I turned my mill off the sun shined all day with no cloud cover got home to a floating bank everything going fine.