Author Topic: Battery and electronics shed  (Read 10843 times)

Offline Isaiah

• No Personal Text Set by User
Re: Battery and electronics shed
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 07:07:26 pm »
The rubber mats at tractor supply for horse stalls should make a good battery bank pad.
 I used them in my dog kennel as  she is a digger and the pads put a stop to the digging.
 Isaiah

Offline Watt

• Over qualified in the inexperience department!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 11:40:55 pm »
My son sent me a text from Lowe's a bit ago.  He says he has picked up the rest of the supplies to build the structure of the shed.  We already have the siding and roof, some of the wall material and insulation.  This is the majority of rest of the wall material.  This is the second load he has made.

We have decided to do the wood 2x8 plates and seals with the staggered 2x4 studs with fiberglass insulation fill.  We have the foam seal/moisture barrier for the slab to seal wood along with thunder bolts for anchors.  We will face the exterior studs with 3/4" plywood and then an outer layer of 2 @ 3/4" poly board with the radiant barrier facing and finally a house wrap.  We have 26 gauge R-panel as siding and roofing w/vents.  We did not have that thick poly board insulation available around here so....  Anyway, thanks to everyone for your suggestions and please continue as we build this thing.   So far, the walls will be at a close ( not considering losses ) R-31 value and the ceiling will be as close to r-50 as we can get. 

Interior will either be sheet-rock or another layer of R-panel tin at 26 gauge.   
CEO of this Dis-Organization....

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 06:18:39 am »
    Watt---the old barn I reno'd into a shop had the walls built that way.  I know you will be happy
with them.  Heat transfer is very low.   Good luck.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline Watt

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 06:48:16 am »
Thanks BJ for the confidence.   Adam, thanks again for the suggestion, I like the way it's coming along.  Tom, have you had any troubles with room temperatures too low in the winter and no heat?  The rubber mats will be in this week.

We got a little done last night, the walls are up if you call the studs, seals and plates walls anyway.  A before and after of the same spot.  Later today, after work, we will get the anchor bolts drilled/installed, insulation and exterior portions on.  Then on to the ceiling and roof.  Then..... 

Anyway, before with the print bandit and an after.  We all had a good time doing this, none of us had a clue.  Myself, my wife and son's that is. 

So, I was out there looking at the supplies and making plans before the work day and noticed my son picked up just on 5/8" plywood for the siding.  We'll be taking that back for the 3/4 as the inset for the wall studs to the R-panel ledge is setup for 1-1/2" space plus the foam inside R-panel seal to slab.  Oh well, still got some supplies to purchase anyway, I'll just send him with a longer list. hehe

Offline Watt

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 09:50:19 pm »
Making progress.  Just gotta get this ole gal to work a little faster.  haha 

That's my daughter, she likes these projects.  She loves doing the work also. 

Ross, thanks for your advice in IRC regarding the Air Conditioning.   ;)

Offline Watt

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 06:35:01 am »
We made a little more progress last night, didn't get to work long but progress nonetheless.

Got the outer insulation in and outside plywood on.  Decided to get the plywood on because we heavy weights will be climbing on the shed.  You know, I'm no carpenter so every bit of strength is needed so we don't hit the ground. ha ha!

We ran out of 2x8 lumber and 2x4 studs so we couldn't finish the bracing for the header above the a/c opening.  That slowed me down on finishing the inside insulation on that wall.  Really, I think that gave me an excuse to take the night off and work on my truck. 

This one picture just shows the staggered studs I guess.  Really can't remember why the picture was taken but here it is. 

Offline bj

• Lamont, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 06:49:19 am »
   Little more progress? ;D  Looks like you are making lots.  Looking good.
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 07:33:15 am »
Looking good.

I would be concerned that young lady would pick up slivers sliding along that top plate in shorts.

Good luck completing it. Looks like you got it going well.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline Watt

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 06:14:05 pm »
Thanks bj and Tom. :D

Tom

Don't worry too much for that girl, she ain't no city girl. Just after that picture, her big brother chased her across the drive where she came to skidding stop on her knees and elbow.  Blood didn't phase her, she got up and got revenge on her brother before she dusted off and cleaned the gravel from her scrapes.  She was back to helping me not long after.  8)