Author Topic: Getting it straight again  (Read 10248 times)

Offline A of J

Re: Getting it straight again
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 08:20:06 pm »
Well done but, you will be adding a 3rd set of guy wires won't you!

The top set tries to hold back the the force on the turbine, the next set down is the pivot point, the third set opposes the force from the top set/turbine.

Unless one has a tower of enormous cross sectional area the minimum is 3 sets of guy wires.

Think, tower base anchored to the ground by lots of concrete, Tom has a jack in the middle, top is anchored under a vehicle, three points, why should it be any different for an erect tower?

I know the damage was caused by your tower falling but! Base is anchored, top has weight of turbine plus tower weight, tower falls encountering a piece of ground that is higher than a straight line from base to top of tower once it comes to rest, resultant, tower bends beyond it's moment of elasticity, outcome a bent tower. (OK ignoring the turbine damage)

Allan

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 10:45:15 pm »
Allan;

Yep, it has a weird tower stub on it in use. Very beefy heavy iron with a 2 7/8 inch tube for the yaw tube to slip over and it sticks up 10 feet above what you see now. I am just going to make a slip over adapter to match the (smaller) yaw tube on the 8 footer that is going on it or maybe weld on a bigger yaw tube to the head? I intend to eventually add another 11 or maybe 22 feet to it as I have 2 more lengths of that steam pipe in my iron pile. Just need to make some coupling sleeves. That will get me up around the 65 plus feet mark for the 8 foot fiberglass bladed dual rotor.  So additional guy lines will get added and a wider footprint for the upper cables ansd a shorter upper stub just long enough to clear the guys.

Slowly getting stuff sorted out and, if I can't sell the 12 footer head I might have to put it back up and bite the bullet on having to do maintenance.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Offline A of J

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 10:50:07 pm »
Tom maybe I did not make my point clear but you need at least a third set of guy wires, the fact that you have used boiler tube shows in your pics but the point of what I was trying to say was about bending moments.

Allan

Offline tomw

• Not as bad as you might think
  • Senior Moderator
  • hoplophobic people will fear my lifestyle
    • Zubbly's photos!
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 11:04:29 pm »
Tom maybe I did not make my point clear but you need at least a third set of guy wires, the fact that you have used boiler tube shows in your pics but the point of what I was trying to say was about bending moments.

Allan

Allan;

I guess I don't get it?

Please elaborate and maybe "why?

Thanks.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ?° ?? ?°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies